Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going to keep this short as there is way too much to write on a mobile platform and trying to hit the road for the drive back to Colorado but wanted to put this warning out there…Took out from Main Salmon early Sunday afternoon to find only one of five cars made it to takeout. No cell service at takeout so drove into Riggins to call the shuttle company. After 30 calls and voicemails, TL finally got through to hear cars were on their way. As a result, we said goodbye to the one family with a car and prepared to wait for the rest of the cars to arrive. It’s now Wednesday morning and just leaving Riggins with all our cars and gear. Long story short…. Spent the night on the beach, rescued by Dave at Rubicon on Monday afternoon, got one more car on Monday night, and spent Tuesday driving to put-ins and Salmon to track down the remaining cars, many different false promises and bad info from Wild River Shuttles. Had to track down cars ourselves, found the third car at Boundary Creek turnoff, 4th car in a field in Salmon Idaho, and 5th car back at the put-in at Corn Creek. Five cars, five different locations. This happened to multiple groups, if you’d like to share your story, please add your experience.

*Edited for clarity and corrected Boundary Creek to "Boundary Creek turnoff" as the location of the second vehicle.

·
Registered
316 Posts
wow, looks like the reviews were pretty much all positive till the last few weeks, then 100% negative. Something bad happened for sure. Thanks for the heads up. Yet another reason to always check up on reviews, even with companies you have used before.

·
Registered
493 Posts
These reviews online recently with photos are hard to comprehend. People stranded for DAYS without vehicles. Hitch hiking 100s of miles, cars disappearing for days. Cars left IN THE RIVER. Agreed with above recommendations in my experience. Also, I had to use a new company this year due to short notice on a cancellation and had a great experience with Rubicon out of Riggins.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I had to use a new company this year due to short notice on a cancellation and had a great experience with Rubicon out of Riggins.
That is good to hear... my early august trip is using them too. Only thing I wasn't stoked on was them advertising it at $350 until you went to check out and they tack on a $21 "Service Fee". I think they helped rescue my buddy's trip that got stranded by Wild River at Spring Bar for two days. Rubicon went to get trailer and brought them to Riggins and helped them arrange to go get their vehicle.

Somehow... their vehicle got left at a "staging area" at the turn off to Boundary with no ETA on when that vehicle might make it to Riggins. I guess that route is an option for a Main Salmon shuttle... but still don't really understand how a vehicle could get left there. They ended up having to go get their vehicle there and there was a bunch of other vehicles "staged" with it as well.

So many horror stories in the last two months... a truck left near the boat ramp on the main that was close enough where the water came up and both truck and trailers tires were in the water, vehicles left anywhere but where they were supposed to, gas money taken but no gas put in the tank, and a bunch of attitude from the company when confronted about this.

To put it nicely....I think its time for them to hang up their hat and take down their shingle... I know a few people who are now hell bent on putting them out of business after their experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This post is giving me anxiety!

Any report on using River Shuttles out of Salmon? We have them scheduled for next month but the most recent reviews are from 9 months ago. Nothing from this season.
I just used river shuttles last week for a MFS trip. 6 cars 5 with trailers in our group and not a single complaint or issue

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I think every shuttle company has incidents they wish they hadn't let happen but at least as of right now... I haven't heard of any other then Wild River that I wouldn't be happy to use.

Stuff is gonna happen and wires get crossed.... it is all about how you handle it when it happens. I've had shuttles screwed up in the past... but the shuttle company went out of its way to make it right.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just used river shuttles last week for a MFS trip. 6 cars 5 with trailers in our group and not a single complaint or issue
Glad to hear... I hadn't heard anything negative but went to read reviews and didn't see any newer than 9 months ago.

I think every shuttle company has incidents they wish they hadn't let happen but at least as of right now... I haven't heard of any other then Wild River that I wouldn't be happy to use.

Stuff is gonna happen and wires get crossed.... it is all about how you handle it when it happens. I've had shuttles screwed up in the past... but the shuttle company went out of its way to make it right.
I think this goes without saying that there will always be something unknown that can happen. Especially on the Main Salmon shuttle where they're driving for 10 hours one way.

·
Registered
493 Posts
That is good to hear... my early august trip is using them too. Only thing I wasn't stoked on was them advertising it at $350 until you went to check out and they tack on a $21 "Service Fee". I think they helped rescue my buddy's trip that got stranded by Wild River at Spring Bar for two days. Rubicon went to get trailer and brought them to Riggins and helped them arrange to go get their vehicle.
Just read the most recent complaint on MF/Main Salmon Trip Participants that Dave Young from Rubicon bailed out the group who got hosed by Wild River and took them and their gear to Riggins. Like I said, sample size of one but they were great and we stopped by their shop in Riggins on our way home.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Going to keep this short as there is way too much to write on mobile platform and trying to hit the road for drive back to colorado but wanted to put this warning out there…Took out from Main Salmon early Sunday afternoon to find only one of five cars made it to takeout. No cell service at takeout so drove into Riggins to call shuttle company. After 30 calls and voicemails, TL finally got through to hear cars were on their way. As a result, we said goodby to the one family with car and prepared to wait for rest of cars to arrive. It’s now Wednesday morning and just leaving Riggins with all our cars and gear. Long story short…. Spent the night on the beach, rescued by Dave at Rubicon on Monday afternoon, got one more car on Monday night, spent Tuesday driving to Putins and Salmon to track down remaining cars, many different false promises and bad info from Wild River Shuttles. Had to track down cars ourselves, found third car at Boundary creek, 4th car in a field in Salmon Idaho and 5th car back at the Putin in Corn creek. 5 cars, 5 different locations. This happened to multiple groups, if you’d like to share your story, please add your experience.
I hope you payed via credit card, and have called your credit card company to refute the charges. Sounds like they also owe you quite a bit of gas money…at minimum!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Compainon thread in Trip Planner - compare notes. Bad deals!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Let me put in a +1 for Pat at CentralIdahoRiverShuttles.

Solid shuttle service I've use before without incident and Pat was awesome when I had to cancel a big Main trip this year due to Covid outbreak 1.5 days before launch. Most importantly, Pat communicates promptly when questions or problems arise. Bottom line is the last thing anyone needs is a blown shuttle after a great trip.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Let me put in a +1 for Pat at CentralIdahoRiverShuttles.

Solid shuttle service I've use before without incident and Pat was awesome when I had to cancel a big Main trip this year due to Covid outbreak 1.5 days before launch. Most importantly, Pat communicates promptly when questions or problems arise. Bottom line is the last thing anyone needs is a blown shuttle after a great trip.
100%! Pat is great. Communication is solid. Service is spot on. Using him twice this summer and am stoked.
As mentioned, Blackadar also provides stellar service. Jerry is awesome. But it seems like they’ve paired back on shuttle drivers. The last three years they’ve been booked.
I’ve also had great service from Michelle at rivershuttles.com. She’s my first call, but has been booked for our trips this year.
Bad things certainly happen, but this flood of incidents is pretty disturbing.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts