Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,
anybody else noticed the bizzarre flow paterns so far, creeks noones ever thought much about are crankin' and stuff thats normally up by now isn't.I remember the ark usuaally had 600 by march in the gorge in wet years does n't bailey usuaally have at le
ast sporadic releases by now?
other obscure creeks are already runnin' some seem to have peaked eg;plum creek at louviers is 1270 cfs this is normally a trickle!it comes of the palmer divide and no. side of rampart range i don't know whats there , but , i bet with enough exploration you'd find some drops or features, if nothing else it's filling chatfield for
union and confluence its been running a while.TURKEY CREEK is being run for christs sake. I HUCKED a class 3-3+ type drop/falls on cherry crk. repeatedly last week the dam released 230 cfs for a few days also hubbard crk., the ST.CHARLES,AND LOST CANYON CRK . NEAR DOLORES HAVE BEEN RUNNING I THINK THE ST CHARLES ALREADY PEAKED DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THESE?
NEW MEXICO THE JEMEZ HAS PEAKED WAS 900+ NOW 400'S(atom say's it's a wood fest anyway) the CANADIAN RIVER HARDLY EVER RUNS BUT ALREADY REACHED 1300 IS GOING DOWN 575 NOW THE OLD NEW MEX. BOOK SEZ' 400-1000 IS DESIRED LEVEL THE DETAILS ARE SKETCHY BUT SOMEWHERE ON IT THERE IS CONTIUOUS 3 4 WATER IN A SPECTACULAR CANYON ATOM SAID HE RAN PART OF IT AT 2500 YEARS AGO NO CLASS 4 AND FIASCO IN LENGTH BUT I THINK HE PUT IN AT THE TAKE OUT ANY THOUGHTS GOTTA GO

·
Registered
138 Posts
strange weather=strange flows

Erratic Colorado Springtime weather and changing global climate patterns are making it a grab bag for sure! While some creeks (ie: Embudo, Colorado @ stateline) are flowing as we've seen in moderate/normal snowpack years, the regional meltoff was all for a brief warming period. (Its pretty psychotic right now.)
We are now back in a cold pattern, and LOADING UP on snow.
I would expect that with the next warming trend, we will see many traditional creeks getting it on with all this fresh moisture adding to the spring flows.
This could be a great year for the obscure runs, and a big year for wood.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the scatterbrain post.I had to leave abruptly,didn't have time to edit.I am a rookie computer geek on an archaic piece of shit.
Yes, this should be an excellent year for first and rare descents.Wood will definitely be a major nemisis, looking forward to it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm up in Frisco and since last Sunday its been full on winter weather. Weather reports say more snow and low 30's for highs through next weekend. If your looking for water coming down from up this way, there's plenty of it, it's just gonna be a while.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Well you're stoked anyway, that's cool. I'm (gulp) relegated to the town run on the Yampa tomorrow. Mike you should come up, I mean, sheesh...lots of fresh powder in Summit or the epic town run...? lol Call me when you get in tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
A friend of mine from leadville, showed up the other day. Decided to run down Fountain creek, and do the three waterfall drops just below the big one that's under the highway, as you go west out of town. Who would have thunk it?? :shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts