Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
How better to get the "extreme" label? Only saw video of one of the kayakers, and looks like he was a swimmer. Is that still considered a successful run?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Only saw video of one of the kayakers, and looks like he was a swimmer. Is that still considered a successful run?
If I hucked 90 feet (which I haven't) and ended up swimming after tossing my paddle, but came away completely uninjured, I would consider that pretty damn successful... If you're wondering in the interest of the record books, then it's been debated, and you are missing the point of a sweet achievement.

·
Registered
226 Posts
At a boy Cutch, sayin it the way it is. These boys rip and should be congratulated on something sweet.

·
Registered
787 Posts
How better to get the "extreme" label? Only saw video of one of the kayakers, and looks like he was a swimmer. Is that still considered a successful run?
I've had the same debate with the Hotel Charlie crew and they say yes, you huck, you live, successful run. I figure if you can go over Niagara Falls in a barrel and live with just dumb luck, why would running a waterfall in a kayak be so special? I consider any successful run ending up right side up in your boat. Swim = Bootie Beer

·
Registered
579 Posts
in the video they say that 2 stayed in their boats and one swam.

anytime everyone comes away without a injury is a successful day on the river, but.....

there has to be a line drawn on what has been "run". (be that an industry standard, your crew's or your own personal line)

an example of my personal standard can be illustrated with a run one of our crew took on super max this summer. This particular paddler rolled 5 times in the rapid (not all in one spot either). In my book that is not successfully running the rapid, it is surviving the rapid.
Now others may disagree with me because she did stay in her boat, but with 5 rolls at no point was she in control, she was completely at the mercy of the river.

My 2 cents.

but i am curious what others think of this idea of a "successful run"'

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually just posted this video b/c the dude interviewing is ridiculous.

Anyway, seeing that I don't send huge waterfalls, I would consider living through a 90ft stout drop pretty damn successful. If I got to the point where I had the skill set to run this kind of shit, then I would reevaluate the meaning of success and hope to stomp the landing.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you have no idea why someone (maybe not you, but someone) would do that, then I'm suprised you found this forum. I'm suprised you kayak and I'm suprised you ski.
Joe

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
yeah, that guy doing the interview has no idea.

that was chris gratmans, issac levinson and pat keller. chris kept his paddle and stayed in the boat, pat chucked his paddle and got pushed out by the boil, issac came unglued. hahaha! sweet oportunity to send that stout. nice.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
He swam and failed to run the drop!

No way. if you don't stick the landing than you are doing a different sport! This guy is swimming. Yes, he starting out kayaking but ended swimming. The same thing can be said of running a class IV rappid. If you get worked and get ripped out of your boat, nobody ever says "you stuck that line." All you hear is "you swam such and such rapid." It sticks with you for life. You drink from the bootie. And, I still hear about the time I swam "the narrows" (III).

Yes I am happy everyone is safe. But he swam the drop! period the end!;)

This guy needs to man up and take a big o glup from the bootie... He swam.

·
Registered
770 Posts
No way. if you don't stick the landing than you are doing a different sport! This guy is swimming. Yes, he starting out kayaking but ended swimming. The same thing can be said of running a class IV rappid. If you get worked and get ripped out of your boat, nobody ever says "you stuck that line." All you hear is "you swam such and such rapid." It sticks with you for life. You drink from the bootie. And, I still hear about the time I swam "the narrows" (III).

Yes I am happy everyone is safe. But he swam the drop! period the end!;)

This guy needs to man up and take a big o glup from the bootie... He swam.
How did you manage to compare a guy running a 90 foot waterfall to you running class III?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
How did you manage to compare a guy running a 90 foot waterfall to you running class III?
I am just good that way in my comparings. haha. But seriously, you should know your limitations and if you over judged your skills and do not make a clean run. Then your a swimmer. Class I, II, III, IV, V, or VI. This guy swam. He did NOT run it clean and he should be remembered as swimming the falls not successfully running said falls. He also owes the river gods a big swill from the bootie.

Nobody should get credit for sticking a run when they swam the run out, just because it was 90 feet tall. you gota stick it, to earn it! just saying.

·
Registered
222 Posts
As pilots have been known to say, "Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing."
I am a pilot..... and i have had many bad landings....... and i have never bent metal or caused an injury.... I have walked away from all my bad landings..... and i have had many.

I have 15,000+ landings in 22 years...... far under 100 swims in 18 years.... if I swim a drop I don't consider it a sucessful run. If I have a bad landing I still consider it a sucesful flight

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Nobody should get credit for sticking a run when they swam the run out, just because it was 90 feet tall. you gota stick it, to earn it! just saying.
Um, rafters screw up and swim in the Grand Canyon all the time, but when they get home they still tell everyone that they successfully rafted the Grand Canyon. Swimming is as much a part of kayaking as swimming is a part of rafting, and if you are going to successfully navigate rivers, you are going to have to successfully swim away from a few rapids from time to time. Did he successfully drop that shit? Yes. Did Isaac run it with perfect style? Well, no, he swam. And for that he should do a booty beer. A small price to pay for getting to run a 90 footer without injury. I'm guessing he "earned it" the moment he rolled over the lip...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
you swim = not successful.
If you're extreme you'll go run it again ;)
Who was the guy that had to say his boys stayed in their kayaks but he didn't?
He'll watch that interview 1000 times until he gets another chance......
What would have been extreme is he says
"I got ejected my first time then I went back and stayed in my boat the second time while my boys watched"

Even a blind squirrel comes across a nut every once in a while

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Did he successfully drop that shit?
Noway!! He went over the edge and lived for sure. He went w/ the melt. And he eat shit! Got worked! And swam! What am I missing?? Happens all the time.:rolleyes:

As said above "one bad landing does not kill the whole flight."

He owes the river gods because they let him live.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Um, rafters screw up and swim in the Grand Canyon all the time, but when they get home they still tell everyone that they successfully rafted the Grand Canyon. Swimming is as much a part of kayaking as swimming is a part of rafting...
Ha that's funny, I always associate coming out of my kayak as swimming, but I fall out of my raft because (waterfalls aside) I typically have a chance to recover and get back into the raft while in the rapid. Bootie beers when rafting tend to be associated with flips and pins.

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
Um, rafters screw up and swim in the Grand Canyon all the time, but when they get home they still tell everyone that they successfully rafted the Grand Canyon. Swimming is as much a part of kayaking as swimming is a part of rafting, and if you are going to successfully navigate rivers, you are going to have to successfully swim away from a few rapids from time to time. Did he successfully drop that shit? Yes. Did Isaac run it with perfect style? Well, no, he swam. And for that he should do a booty beer. A small price to pay for getting to run a 90 footer without injury. I'm guessing he "earned it" the moment he rolled over the lip...
Swimming as a rafter and swimming as a kayaker are two different things. Swimming for rafters is connected to flipping a raft and because you don't have an oppertunity to right yourself swimming is acceptable. Flipping a kayak or raft can be a good thing. On the other hand swimming from a kayak is much like wrapping a raft. There is a since of lost honor when you swim from a kayak or wrap a raft. IMHO

1 - 20 of 44 Posts