Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's an abundance of cancelled permits available for Deso. Right this instant, June 23, 25, 29, July 3, 5, 9, 10. And I've seen many others come/go over that past few days.

Is this typical of the season? People avoiding bugs? Water too high for their preference w/ the small mouth bass release??

I haven't watched this for a full calendar year before . . . perhaps this is normal?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think it's a combination of
1. mosquitoes
2. people who dont raft and just saw a rec.gov email about the lottery or just dont really know how to put together a trip and dont accept that fact until a week or two before their launch date
3. people picking up cancellations for lodore/yampa/salmon. I know for me personally I've got a mid July deso, but if I see a lodore pop up between now and then I'll probably snag it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
We dumped one a couple days ago for a last minute Main Salmon cancellation.

Commercial companies have historically dumped trips they can't fill and Desolation Canyon was one of the few places they open them to private launches. Historically the commercial companies have had to return permits further in advance though... Not sure if that has changed for them.

I have always been able to find a Desolation Canyon permit just about any time during the summer. If that's our last option we just schedule the time off and pick up a cancellation.
We have already run Desolation Canyon at high water with a cancellation permit this year so time for something else...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Deso seems to be a 2nd or 3rd tier choice that people cancel when they get something better.

I think the cancellations are higher this year because of a policy change. Copied from the Deso permit page:

Due to the number of no show reservations we have seen, we will be implementing a new no show penalty starting in 2022. If you fail to cancel your reservation prior to the day of your launch and/or fail to use your permit, then that permit holder will placed on a restricted list and will not be able to reserve another DesoGray permit for two years. We are implementing this no show penalty to encourage those who can't make the trip to cancel their reservation, ultimately making that slot available for someone else to book. Please be mindful of your fellow boaters and cancel your permit as soon as you know you cannot take the trip.
I would guess this prompted more people to cancel instead of just not showing.

-Andy

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many of these explanations (like the new cancel policy) would apply equally to any 2022 date. My observation that led to my post above was a sharp increase in cancellations in the next 10-15 days.

I've been watching Deso cancellations for months, and permits have popped up consistently, but "lightly". Usually one or two visible on a given day (for launches in next 10-50 days). But recently, its spiked dramatically. Like 5 permits in a 7 day period July 3-9 for example. Refunds are only given for cancellations >30 days in advance, so that's not an explanation (all these recent cancellations lost their fees).

The commercial trip explanation seems most plausible to me. Maybe fewer people travelling due to gas prices = fewer clients for commercial floaters.

The reason I was asking is I've got a launch on July 10, and wondered if I was overlooking an issue. Doesn't seem that's the case (I know bugs and heat are potential irritants). When I grabbed the permit in early June it felt a little bit lucky, but seeing the early July cancellation list now, it feels insignificant! :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Why so many cancellations in general, I can't help but wonder? Hell, someone announced on here just a few days ago they were throwing back a Yampa permit for I-kid-you-not the Forth of F'n July for some better offer. Uhhh..like what? I'd have killed for that date, low flow or not, so it infuriates me the childish nature of those that just can't seem to be satisfied with what they've got esp if there's a better opportunity. This selfish FOMO mentality horsesh!t really needs to be curtailed, and I think there should be steeper penalties still for jerks that pick up cancellation dates and then cancel them later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts