Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the advantages to Diminishing tubes but are there any disadvantages? I mean, the load is on the side tubes and floors. Usually the rise is the same on the bottom. The only difference is that the top of the tubes is lower so they are better in the wind and they punch through waves a little better, and they give a little more room on the inside. Why would manufacturers not make every raft with diminishing tubes?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Diminished tubes are the way to go....

But benefits to standard tube rafts:
1. For paddle rafting a 12-14 foot raft, guiding from the stern is a little more comfortable, you maybe sit a few inches higher, and us older guides are just used to these dimensions. However if you are paddle guiding a 15, 16, or 20 foot bus with massive tubes 22" or wider, with8 to 12 customers, the diminished tubes are much better to keep your paddle in the water.

2. Stand tubes are easier to control surfing in holes...and less scary.

3. If it is cold, the standard tubes block a little more spray from waves and big hits. Keeping front passengers a little happier.

4. Standard tube rafts don't get so deep entering big holes/hits, so you may punch through the big stuff a little better.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Diminished tubes sometimes punch better than standard tubes...it really depends on the specific River feature and load distribution...
There is this feature we call the rodeo hole on my local commercial run, the NRS boats with diminished tubes get back surfed a little and flip about 5% of the time. The standard tube boats always punch through with a light or heavy load... The diminished tube boats take on a lot of water, stall, back surf and dump truck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts