Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
I put in a few laps on Sho yesterday, & deep red water (like Moab dirt red) with a nice iron smell to it was coming straight from the Shoshone pumpstation, with the water immediately upstream the normal brown/green color. It was a crazy contrast. Where would that water be coming from? Up above the station (hanging lake area)?? Regardless, cool how the river can change so drastically on a daily basis!

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,258 Posts
I drove through the canyon early yesterday and the Colorado was red above Hanging lake. The Eagle was clear above the confluence so it was coming down from Upper Colorado reaches. Later in the day it was red into Glenwood but the Roaring fork was adding enough chocolate milk to negate it by West Glenwood. The day before, the Colorado was chocolatey and the Fork was adding red mud from the Crystal from mudslides near Redstone.

Any moisture is GOOD!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Spoke with a CDOT guy at the Shosone power plant the other day while hot lapping Sho Sho and he told me there was some heavy back country mud slides in that powerplants drainage. The water coming out from the power plant was like night and day compared to upstream!.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Night and day, totally. I thought it looked so viscous too...got me wondering if a swim in that kinda water would bog you down, if the water was heavier??? Almost eeire to watch the much red coming out those pipes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts