Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone with connections to the weather gods please get a message to them that we're ready for their slow yet steady release on the goodness that's currently in frozen form across the Rockies???

I mean, I'm going on the river regardless of any kind of weather, but it sure would be nice to get some bikini time on the wife instead of a mass of layers that will have her looking like the little brother in A Christmas Story.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
My trailer in Colorado has 5" of snow on it and still coming down. I'm more concerned about the rafters in Oklahoma. News reports say they can raft in their back yards (not good) if they can find where the tornados left their gear. I think we all may have wished too hard for more water this year. Careful what you wish for.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
All you need.....

Can someone with connections to the weather gods please get a message to them that we're ready for their slow yet steady release on the goodness that's currently in frozen form across the Rockies???

I mean, I'm going on the river regardless of any kind of weather, but it sure would be nice to get some bikini time on the wife instead of a mass of layers that will have her looking like the little brother in A Christmas Story.
. This works sometimes. No guarantee's though. A good pocket barometer for rising and falling pressure comes in handy too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, for real. When is the warmth coming??? The Ark is dropping like crazy. It looks more systematic than weather related, but I didn't think the twin lakes flow was cut off in June?

Can the powers that be please bump up the flow for this weekend??? Gonna be really bony taking 4 adults and 5 kids down the river at 550cfs.

·
Super Moderator
4,258 Posts
Last week I submitted a weather change ticket requesting a warming trend for Colorado start today at 08:00 MDT. This should help get a little more water in the rivers for this weekend to get the runoff season started, and by next weekend things should be ripping pretty well.

It looks like they got the message, here's the forecast for the Colorado River at Dotsero.

I'm old school and look at this whole "May boating" thing the same way I think of Thanksgiving as a ski holiday. It's just way too early and if you're enjoying massive runoff then it's a fluke of the weather (or climate change) causing premature meltout.

Regarding flows dropping on the Ark, that appears to be decreases in the flow from the reservoirs judging by the way the hydrographs step down each day. I can only submit weather change tickets, if you want to change dam releases in Colorado, you'll have to appeal to a higher power than anything I've got influence with.

You're welcome for the warming trend, beers and serviceable river gear will be greatly appreciated,

-AH

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Twin Lakes has been drained just about as low as the BOR can go and still generate electricity at the power plant, so don't expect any big releases from it until flows crank up. It's still been cold. Last night was the first night in quite a while that it didn't frost in Buena Vista at 8000'. The melt won't really get going until it stops freezing at night in Leadville, at 10k'.

On a side note. There is currently 73" of water at the Fremont Pass snotel to come down still. On this day in 2011 there was 63" and that year the river flowed 3000 cfs for 45 days with a peak at the below Granite gauge of approximately 3850 on July 10th.

Last year on this day the same snotel site had 20" of water and it melted out completely by June 10th.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts