Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an interesting debate with a fellow SE paddler. I guess I'm a SE paddler now that I'm in the SE. I've always learned to yield to upriver boaters. Is this wrong? I never eddy out in front of an upriver boater. Been doing this for years. What do yall think>

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would think it would make sense for downriver boaters to have the right of way, like when skiing. The uphill skier/upriver boater has the view, anyone below them would have to be looking over their shoulder to know you were there, which can be dangerous in certain situations. Curious on others' thoughts on this, too.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Down river traffic has the right of way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would think it would make sense for downriver boaters to have the right of way, like when skiing. The uphill skier/upriver boater has the view, anyone below them would have to be looking over their shoulder to know you were there, which can be dangerous in certain situations. Curious on others' thoughts on this, too.
I might be reading your post wrong, but down hill skier must always yield to skier down the slope from him. Its because they can not look over shoulder.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Same thing, different phrasing. If you're uphill/upriver, you yield to those below you.
Cool, we are on same page, haha.

I have always had right of way going into a play feature when coming down the river. Kayaker or Sup playing on feature must yield to me, maybe this is because they are looking upstream when playing on wave.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Cool, we are on same page, haha.

I have always had right of way going into a play feature when coming down the river. Kayaker or Sup playing on feature must yield to me, maybe this is because they are looking upstream when playing on wave.
I'd say playing in a feature is different than running a stretch of water. If you're halting your downriver movement, you're becoming an obstacle and should yield to those passing through before resuming playing. Kind of like terrain parks - don't sit on the knuckle if you don't want to get bonked.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
If you are going down the river you have the right of way. If you are in an eddy thinking of peeling out, surfing a wave or otherwise not travelling downstream you do not have right of way.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'd say playing in a feature is different than running a stretch of water. If you're halting your downriver movement, you're becoming an obstacle and should yield to those passing through before resuming playing. Kind of like terrain parks - don't sit on the knuckle if you don't want to get bonked.
Good point, just need to be aware at all times.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I go by two rules of thumb:

1. If two boats are going downstream, the downstream boat has the right of way.
2. If one boat is going downstream and another is in an eddy or surfing a wave, the boat moving downstream has the right of way.

So if I'm going faster than someone in front of me, I yield to them until it's safe to pass. If I'm surfing a wave and see someone coming downstream, I jump out of the wave and let them pass. If I'm in an eddy and there is downstream traffic, I wait until there is a break big enough before leaving the eddy.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
The best thing about kayaking is not having to worry about such things. Sounds like a SE boater problem.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The best thing about kayaking is not having to worry about such things. Sounds like a SE boater problem.
I won't worry either when I run through a rapid that kayakers are playing in and refuse to move. My boat is grey. Shouldn't leave too much of a skid mark on your full face helmet or play boat. hehehehe

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The larger boat should also get right of way. As in sweeps and large gear boats. They travel faster and are harder to stop , slow down and maneuver around a drifting guy looking for a lighter whilst twisting a doobie. Always watch your 6.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I yield to all power boats and any man powered craft bigger than my burn. But that's just me.

I wont yield to play boats. (-:

·
Registered
220 Posts
How many points is it if you hit a kayaker surfing a wave in your raft?

Woke up this morning at 10:13.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Here's a hint for you rafters who can't stay out of the kayaking forums: shut up and carry more of my beer.

Also Kent, your title is grammatically incorrect. It should be "who yields to -whom-". Don't let those southeastern heathens decivilize you.

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,265 Posts
It's a bit different back east.
There was a guide on the Gauley that put hash marks on his paddle for every kayak he ran over.
Personally, I give right of way (if I can) whenever I see traffic regardless of what boat I'm in that day. That's just kind brother boating and avoids conflict.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I ain't no rafter and that line you used is as old as any river on this planet. Come at me with something waaaay better. Lol

Woke up this morning at 10:13.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts