Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have watched the drop at the library hole in the Golden playpark slowly deteriorate this season. In March, a large slab of rock and concrete on river right came loose and stood up on end making a nice tight alernate route as flows rose to 800.

Later in June and July this same chunk became a nice strainer hammering people on tubes and causing several near drownings of people who thought this whole place was a safe secure sterile Disney ride where you could be stupid and still have fun.

In the last week or so, the whole piece on river right let go with the result being that only about half the water coming over the drop goes down the intended chute with the rest going around through the new opening.

Question: who repairs this kind of stuff? Is it Golden's responsibility? Who to call to get repairs when the water gets low enough? With 5000 tubers and swimmers a day coming through, this hole was about the only decent part of the park to paddle for a few minutes on a hot busy day without running into people.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a Clear Creek Whitewater Park Advisory Board, made up of boaters, one of which is also on the Golden City Council - I will forward a link to this post to the members. FYI, however, budget for alterations/repairs to the park needs to come from the City Council, so all we can do is request the money and provide input on what changes should be made.
I haven't been down that far in a while, but if it is a safety issue as you say, the Council may jump on it - I know they're watching events in Pueblo closely....

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree, that place needs to be cleaned up. It seems to get more messed up as each year passes by--bleecher hole. I saw a guy down there who said that a rock was moved by some people with machinery, is this true?

·
Registered
28 Posts
"with the result being that only about half the water coming over the drop goes down the intended chute"... Apparently what you perceive as the intended chute is your own erroneous perception...

"this same chunk became a nice strainer hammering people on tubes and causing several near drownings".. Man made obsticles are always the most dangerous. Is the the intention of altering a river or only the consequence...

or are we looking for "a safe secure sterile Disney ride where you could be stupid and still have fun"...

Long after all the damns have breached and eroded away, after these mountains pass and new ones arise, though the river may bend to meet its new coarse, it will remain. No guy with machinery needs to move those rocks, the river will take care of herself. Again, apperently the chute was intended to be a bit more to the right.

Just a thought though you may feel it unpopular, the truth, as the river, remains.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I realize that the river is working its magic on the rocks and land like it has for who knows how long, but in this little split second of geologic time there happens to be a kayak park there that some people like to splash around in. Unpopular as it may seem to you we or I just want to know if a human readjustment of rocks in the river may happen, is happening or has happened and where to go to do it.

Much like the sand throught an hour glass so...are the days of our lives.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Is it just me or is the bleacher hole rockin for right-sided cartwheels. I have been taking my friend (beginner) there lately and have been suprised how good the play still is at this spot! And there is almost never a line. Where are all the front range playboaters???? Not in golden.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah I think some fixing needs to be done also. I am just concerned about who they get to do the fixing. A couple of years ago some boaters worked hard made the bingo hole. It was the coolest low flow play features that I have ever been in. People were throwing loops at around 350cfs, Blunts were fun at 200 and it was still pretty dang fun at 170. Someone appointed by this comittee tried to "fix" it and totally screwed it up so that now it is more dangerous than before. (the rock on sufers left is particularly dangerous.)

It also would be cool to rework a couple of the drops. For example the rapid right after the bleacher hole has enough gradient to create a pretty cool play feature. Right now that drop is an afterthought. The Library hole could be choked up a bit more on the left side as well.

benrodda

·
Registered
17 Posts
Golden has the shittiest play park on the planet. You front rangers need to blow that thing up and start over. As for what you guys call the bleacher hole. Great hole if right cartwheels are what you like. I've never seen anyone win a rodeo by doing 300 right cartwheels.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
WAV1 said:
Golden has the shittiest play park on the planet. You front rangers need to blow that thing up and start over. As for what you guys call the bleacher hole. Great hole if right cartwheels are what you like. I've never seen anyone win a rodeo by doing 300 right cartwheels.
I fear I must concur with you. Just like alot of things, people have a bias towards their home area and think it tends to be better then it is. I've been avoiding that place for the last couple years. The only hole I have any fun in is the first large feature a couple holes up from the Bleachers. I do think that a few of the drops need to get demolished and started from scratch, namely the bleacher hole. Now I know there will be people that will be sad that they can't bash the hell out of the nose of their kayaks doing right cartwheels there, but the potential for that spot is great. Yes, at low water it might not be spectactular, but that spot has alot of potential for higher water (aka 200 and over). Its also the best spot to have a rodeo, spectator wise. As much as I hate to say, I think they just need to pull that whole thing out and make the traditional Gary Lacy smack down the center typical hole. It works at BV, Salida, Lyons, and Steamboat. SO lets get this council going and make something of the Golden park, rather the have it be something that the Golden locals put up with because its close by.

JH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts