Mountain Buzz banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Wow, never heard of that book-just ordered it!

Thanks
It's an outstanding read, and very well researched. I met the author on two occasions while I was out at the ranger station, very pleasant guy, that knew way more about the area and the river then I did, by a long shot. Learned a lot from him

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think we as a community we have failed to answer the most valuable question. Is the cooler of the blue cat full of beer. If yes why has it not been removed by consumption? If no where did the beer go or was there any at all?
I suppose I have failed to answer some of these questions my self. As I noticed the blue cat last Saturday, my 1st thought was beer in a cooler and can I make it in and out of the ROD. Of course after taking a realistic look at the situation and soiling my 1400$ dry suit I passed at the opportunity. I have failed!

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
See I was right!
keep out!
Beware!
Sadly, no Charlie, you weren't.. Close, but old {or new} stories from guide's, well, perhaps not the most reliable info..

Do you know how you can tell when a guide is lying Charlie?

His lips are moving...

• Haha
Reactions: westwatercuban

·
Registered
859 Posts
Well gosh, thank you for the kind words. He said that he would compensate somebody that got his boat out of the room of Doom, having ranger there for 20 years I feel I am qualified to say that he is in the 1% of people that need help getting their boat out in that he would compensate someone.

Your intent was good. Your internet skills not so much -- you quoted me, not him, in your response.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
There’s lost boat posts on f.b all the time. Here it’s to humiliating lol! So if some all business sailer asks ,” permission to come aboard?” Just say no. Kinda like “not guilty” ??

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The v-wave in sock it to me gets a lot of people, at certain water levels you can sneak it on the extreme right, and around 6000 CFS magnetic rock below the rapid on the left gets a lot of people....
There is a small eddy just above the magnetic rock that you might not ever notice... until you get stuck in it. We fondly refer to it as the "Closet of Doom".

·
Registered
109 Posts
A friend of mine reports that the blue cat was still there Friday, 6/24. That’s two weeks in the Room. Said it was 10 feet above the water line and really beat up. One tube was probably still inflated. Bob said he was headed in there Saturday 6/25 to see if he could get it out.

No word on the cooler or its contents.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
The Room will do that to gear. If it's still in there 2 weeks later, that's likely a record. I can't imagine someone leaving their boat in there that long.. Perhaps his experience with boating on Westwater has dampened his desire to continue ?

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I crashed a hang glider in the owens valley once and walked to the highway and hitch hiked to my truck!! Left that thing there and never did it again lol!
Well there you go, perhaps they had Charlie's mindset.

Why does it not surprise me that Charlie crashed a hang glider...

Perhaps it was because he wasn't able to mount his favorite seat on it?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Room will do that to gear. If it's still in there 2 weeks later, that's likely a record. I can't imagine someone leaving their boat in there that long.. Perhaps his experience with boating on Westwater has dampened his desire to continue ?
I would love to speculate about Blue Cat Guy. In fact, I suspect he has sparked future campsite discussions and I hope each boatman here will do his part to craft the myth. I am happy to provide several additional, useful facts to fuel the fire should anyone be moved to spin a yarn.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Observations at the put in:

White male, not short or tall, did not appear to be an endurance athlete type.
Boat and gear appeared shiny and new.
He was wearing a blue, collared shirt, much like one you’d see a fly fisherman wearing and quite sporty if you ask me.
Launched sometime after 9 and before noon.
Not in a rush, seemed relaxed.
Was with one other boat I think.

Observations from the river left eddy below skull

Pacing and perturbed on top of the hill between the Room and the small river right eddy 100 yards downstream.
Repeatedly attempted verbal communication only, no signals.
Boat was pretty stable in the far river right downstream corner of the room. Boat appeared lonely and concerned, but still optimistic, not unlike a dog left in the car a little too long.

Does that help?

61 - 80 of 102 Posts