Mountain Buzz banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
If it was my gear of considerable value, I wouldn't leave it there unattended to begin with.

If circumstances absolutely, positively mandated that I leave it there, I'd be damn certain to compensate whomever got it out, with whatever they felt was appropriate.
You sir, are in the 1% of people that get stuck in the room of Doom. Most, not all, but most generally find their way out of the canyon, I've heard every manner of story, the most unbelievable one was they floated all the way to Cisco in their pfds, called the Moab field office on Monday, and asked if we had gotten their boat out of the room of Doom. Not called and said hey, can you guys help me get my boat out of the room of Doom, there's a big difference in the mindset of people that go down to rescue gear if somebody's asking for help, or wanting you to do it for them...

Reactions: VailGeek

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Is there a sieve river left wher people have been entrapped? Is there a cave where someone went in and resurfaced but was trapped and ultimately was retrieved? These are stores that a Moab guide told me lol!

·
Registered
859 Posts
You sir, are in the 1% of people that get stuck in the room of Doom. Most, not all, but most generally find their way out of the canyon, I've heard every manner of story, the most unbelievable one was they floated all the way to Cisco in their pfds, called the Moab field office on Monday, and asked if we had gotten their boat out of the room of Doom. Not called and said hey, can you guys help me get my boat out of the room of Doom, there's a big difference in the mindset of people that go down to rescue gear if somebody's asking for help, or wanting you to do it for them...

Either you quoted the wrong post, are talking out your ass, or have no idea what you're talking about.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
People have been body pinned on the shock rock, if I remember right, in circumstances where their gear went into the ROD and they got tangled up in rope and went left. Yo Pinche, nothing left dude, just a big eddy. Maybe you're referring to the Magnetic Wall in Sock it to Me, where you can indeed wrap a boat or a person.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Either you quoted the wrong post, are talking out your ass, or have no idea what you're talking about.
Well gosh, thank you for the kind words. He said that he would compensate somebody that got his boat out of the room of Doom, having ranger there for 20 years I feel I am qualified to say that he is in the 1% of people that need help getting their boat out in that he would compensate someone.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Is there a sieve river left wher people have been entrapped? Is there a cave where someone went in and resurfaced but was trapped and ultimately was retrieved? These are stores that a Moab guide told me lol!
You got to quit listening to commercial guides Charlie...

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
People have been body pinned on the shock rock, if I remember right, in circumstances where their gear went into the ROD and they got tangled up in rope and went left. Yo Pinche, nothing left dude, just a big eddy. Maybe you're referring to the Magnetic Wall in Sock it to Me, where you can indeed wrap a boat or a person.
There was a gentleman named Max who died when his foot got entangled in an improperly stoned bowline at least 10 if not 15 years ago, his boat went to the outside of the room of doom, he went to the inside of the room of Doom, did not have a knife, many people tried to climb down to get to him, but nobody was able to reach him..

A very sad day, and the body recovery.. not fun at all..

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Ugh, I may have gotten skull and sock it to me mixed up. I did it in April at 1700 ish. I was stressed about skull but it was pretty simple but I was with a commercial guide training group and they told me what to do. Didn’t even get a splash at that level and the top hole and big rock where easy to miss. I actually somehow swam off the oars in the v-wave at sock it to me and washed around the corner. The boat was circling in the eddy above. A ranger was around the corner doing something and pulled me in his boat and then A guide trainey jumped in my boat and brought it down all better! I was impressed by that river and thought it was spookey like kapoo spookey. Who’s skull was it? And when did it go away?

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Ugh, I may have gotten skull and sock it to me mixed up. I did it in April at 1700 ish. I was stressed about skull but it was pretty simple but I was with a commercial guide training group and they told me what to do. Didn’t even get a splash at that level and the top hole and big rock where easy to miss. I actually somehow swam off the oars in the v-wave at sock it to me and washed around the corner. The boat was circling in the eddy above. A ranger was around the corner doing something and pulled me in his boat and then A guide trainey jumped in my boat and brought it down all better! I was impressed by that river and thought it was spookey like kapoo spookey. Who’s skull was it? And when did it go away?
The v-wave in sock it to me gets a lot of people, at certain water levels you can sneak it on the extreme right, and around 6000 CFS magnetic rock below the rapid on the left gets a lot of people. The secret to the v-wave is to pick one side of it or the other and square up to it. Center punching it many times will stall the boat out, and the volume of water there will turn it sideways, and most times just dump trucks The boatman out, but I have seen flips there...
Skull rapid did not go anywhere Charlie, it's still there...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I've heard it was named that due to a cow skull that sat on the rock at some point in the past.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Oh man shit! Iam so gullible…
I thought the natives killed some tourist and placed their head there ….BEWARE! I swear though that place is spookey ! BEWARE!
I went and found the section in West water lost and found, the book by Mike Milligan, I took photos of the two pages that address how skull got its name, here you go

Attachments

Reactions: sonofdad and JakeH

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Page 2

Attachments

41 - 60 of 102 Posts