Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Now…this something a new guy would say/ask…but when I was on the gauley the creature craft guys where sticking them selves in the hole at sweet falls and just getting surfed indefinitely. Granted they are different crafts but they had these little parachutes they’d throw in with a line and it would help drag them out. They where actually sailboat sea anchors or something the sailboat guys use for rough seas ?? Any way if you just had to get out of the room of doom and you just had too,would something like that work? Of course it’s dangerous and there’s a line in the water etc etc but would the main current carry the boat out ?

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
One of the only ways to get a boat out of the room over 6K, past carrying it up and over, is to set up a line across the river to the scout, pull the boat up to the apex of the eddy line, as close to skull hole as you can get, and pendulum it out. Have had to do that at least 5 times, maybe more when people hiked out and left their boat in the room. Call in the morning, Hey, listen, can you guys get my boat out of the room... Always thought, why didn't they just come back to the ranger station and ask "Hey, can you guys HELP me get my boat out of the room".. Either way, it was an efficient way to remove a boat when it can't be rowed out.

Reactions: VailGeek

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was in the river left eddy after Skull when Craven flipped and watched the whole thing. He did in fact pass Blue Cat Guy on the hike out. Blue Cat Guy was trying to yell things to me from the top of the hill downstream of the Room, but of course there's some rapids in there that render such methods of communication ineffective. So his story floated away like a fart in the wind. Anyway, there was a boat tied up river right after the hike so guess that was his group. Another group member signaled to me from up on the hill that they were OK. I think Blue Cat Guy's boat is a standard JPW El Tigre. This event may end up as another testament to the durability and craftsmanship of JPW products, which perform even of their owner does not.

Scuttlebutt at the ranger station on Sunday, 6/19 was that Blue Cat Guy forgot his keys and wallet down in his boat and could not make the trip back down there to get them, and that Bob hiked down for them the next day or so. I have not confirmed this with Bob as he was not on duty Monday morning when I left.

It was a real shit show in there on 6/11.

If Blue Cat Guy's raft is still in there, I think someone should get it out ASAP. Flows are plenty low. Even if we don't apply maritime law here, a large reward from Blue Cat Guy is in order.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Haha. Blue Cat Guy. Sounds like he made all the wrong moves. Super curious about his entry into the ROD, assumedly unflipped but with his boat… must’ve been a helluva ride between the wall and skull hole that day, it was damn near river wide. And yeah, he’s gonna owe some beer fines at the very least.

·
Registered
109 Posts
He was in there before I got there but I did get to watch four rafts run while I was in the eddy. Most instructive was a 16’ cat that ran the hole straight on and benefitted from no significant intentional propulsion after the hit. The hole won’t flip a big raft coming straight on at that level but it will direct it right into the Rock. 16’ cat hit the rock with some left angle and slid around, but could just as easily gone into the Room. I am guessing something similar happened to Blue Cat Guy. I look forward to hearing from him on here.

Also, I haven’t considered this because I run a 14’ raft - straight into the hole with speed and then pull with a left upstream ferry seems like a legitimate plan at 11,500 cfs.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I couldn’t disagree more. Why flirt with danger and hit the hole at all? Too much risk/consequence. The standard right to left, turn and pull away from Skull is all you need to know, assuming that you know. No business hanging out on the right and being anywhere near the stuff you need to miss.
As for Blue Cat Guy, I’m guessing we won’t hear from him here. Aside from wallowing in shame and self-doubt, I’m guessing he doesn’t contribute to the Buzz else we would have heard from him by now. Great story with an epic walk of shame out though. Then you realize you left shit you need down there. Jeeze.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don’t think we disagree at all. Right to left is always the line. I’m just saying there’s another way, albeit not one that I would choose. As for Blue Cat Guy, I know we won’t hear from “him” but we may hear from “not him.”

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
Since iam the guy learning everything from the internet… isn’t there a bad sieve river left at skull rapid? Iam asking because I want to not regurgitate bad info
Nope

Reactions: Blade&Shaft

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Since iam the guy learning everything from the internet… isn’t there a bad sieve river left at skull rapid? Iam asking because I want to not regurgitate bad info
There is a protrustion(if that's the right word) of land that causes a lateral that pushes you toward skull hole. Basic move is to pull left and break the lateral. I didn't do so well on 6/4 and flirted with the left side of skull hole, eventually had to stop ferrying and pulling left, square up and dig my oars in. Quite a big wave to say the least, was a pretty thrilling ride!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
On 6/14, peak, I believe the day the shit went down, I was rowing my 10.5' Hyside w/frame, holes and waves weren't an option for that small of a boat. We ate lunch at Hades before the canyon and saw the gaggle of red commercial boats and hodgepodge of blue boats/cats go by as we ate. For Skull, I took a decent piece of the right side of the top left hole to bust through the lateral, one scissor to spin, and two pulls away from Skull and was done. Was then in the swirly water immediately adjacent to skull and hung out for a minute with good view of the hole, ROS and ROD. Not saying that's the line, just sayin... that's the line.

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
When I used to ranger there, I would tell people to try and hit the lateral as low as you possibly can, and if you don't break it just keep rowing.. I've been bounced out into the middle on more than one occasion, and as long as you're still rowing for the left wall you can drag the bow of your boat right over skull hole, and row right into the eddy

Reactions: Blade&Shaft

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
MNichols, when did you last ranger there? You look familiar and kinda like a ranger I ran down with many years ago, say, 2008/2009ish
Coronavirus pretty much killed the volunteer ranger program at West water, that and ranger Bobby.. my last year there was 20/20 if memory serves and I have been doing it for 20 years. I've run down with many a private boater, especially in high water with people that were hell bent on going, but didn't have the experience to do it safely by themselves.. very good possibility I ran down with you...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Cool man! Yea, the guy we ran down with was a volunteer, and actually ended up partying with us quite a bit, before and after the rapids. If memory serves correctly, I believe he wore an old-school style high float PFD and that particular trip water was up around 16k. The ranger was solo rowing but I cannot remember the craft. Could've been you!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
When I used to ranger there, I would tell people to try and hit the lateral as low as you possibly can, and if you don't break it just keep rowing.. I've been bounced out into the middle on more than one occasion, and as long as you're still rowing for the left wall you can drag the bow of your boat right over skull hole, and row right into the eddy
That was... not my experience.

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
Cool man! Yea, the guy we ran down with was a volunteer, and actually ended up partying with us quite a bit, before and after the rapids. If memory serves correctly, I believe he wore an old-school style high float PFD and that particular trip water was up around 16k. The ranger was solo rowing but I cannot remember the craft. Could've been you!
That sounds like Arlo.. I never partied when I was on a patrol trip, against the rules for one thing, and for another, it wouldn't do for someone to need my help, and me being unable to provide it, especially in a boat with BLM on the sides in big black letters!

Now once I was in camp, and off the clock so to speak I've been known to have a beer or four 😁

·
Registered
164 Posts
Definitely agree with breaking through low. I ran it at about 15.5K this year and hit the lateral too high, failed to break through and got typewritered back to the middle. Still managed to pull left of skull hole, but there was a lot more suspense than I'm usually looking for.

·
Registered
860 Posts
If it was your gear of considerable value, wouldn't you want some capable and considerate person/s able to extricate it, to make every effort to return it to the rightful owner?

If it was my gear of considerable value, I wouldn't leave it there unattended to begin with.

If circumstances absolutely, positively mandated that I leave it there, I'd be damn certain to compensate whomever got it out, with whatever they felt was appropriate.

21 - 40 of 113 Posts