Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some random questions about some parks I've heard about but didn't know if they ever happened. Does anyone know anything about parks in:

Cedar Falls, IA-Cedar River
Lawrance, KS-Wakarusa River
Mt. Pleasant, MI-Bear River
Plattsburgh, NY-Saranac River
San Marcos, TX
Fort Worth, TX
Longmont, CO

What's the status of the one's they were trying to get in:

Canon City
Silverthorne
Bend, OR
Sun Valley, ID
Peoria, IL
Salmon River
Feather River
Rogue River
Yakima River, WA

Just curious because you hear about all these places that are trying to get parks but you never hear about it when the project gets shut down.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks. What river are the parks on?

COUNT

·
Registered
37 Posts
The PP in Ft Worth is on the Trinity River. I know I have found information and pictures on line of the play park there. Looks like it only runs if there is heavy rains. I have family there and was looking for a good reason to visit them. Still looking for a reason to visit.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Canon City WW park

We are currently working to raise money to develop a park in canon city. We are having a fund raiser on Aug 11th from 8pm to 12pm At the royal Gorge Bridge and Park. There will be 2 bands, beer, food, silent auction and possibly a video premier. Spread the word.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Count,

From a Kansas kid to you...

Because pictures and video tell the story better than I, check out the Waka here:

Kansas Whitewater

Any of the galleries with "Waka" in the title will give you a better feel, minus the "Waka Event July 22", it was a busted release on an event. We basically have a ledge, and when the releases are right from Clinton Reservoir (spotty) we have one of the best play spots in the midwest.

The KWA is/was working with the Corp of Engineers to allow for modification of the ledge to make it more playable at lower flows, but that is a work in progress. The pictures of the "Waka Project" are pictures showing improvements to the access our club threw down.

Would I call it an actual play park? No. Would I be stoked to make the trip over there anytime the water is running? Every chance I get...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not on your list, but Tulsa - someday. Decent chance we'll get to vote in early October whether to fund a WW park and other Ark River improvements, and seems there's a decent chance the referendum will pass.

Meanwhile, any features of interest here in town are washed out. River's been running 30-80K cfs since early/mid May.

·
Registered
88 Posts
wwpark tx

San Marcos at Rio Vista spring fed goes in the San Marcos river.

PowerPinHead:
If a wwp is your reason to visit family, u need to rethink your priorities.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
would take at least that to make me visit my family

·
Registered
95 Posts
Dunno about a park in Mt. Pleasant on the Bear, but the Bear up by Petoskey is a REALLY fun class III+ to IV- run through some manmade dams and boogie.

Other than that I can't imagine there being any reason to build a WW park in lower Mich. as there just aren't that many boaters. Those who do boat in MI either live in Ann Arbor and drive to Virginny or they live in the UP and have the world's best creeking all around them.

There is an odd shop in Traverse City that actually carries WW boats as the owner is a big WW weenie. He drives to Virginny several times a year. I think he's scared of the UP!

Oh yeah, there is a small river, can't remember the name, with a semi-good feature for play just south of Traverse City. In effect, it is the lower Mich. playpark.

Oh, and a BIG wave comes in on the Red in Lansing when the river is rippin'.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I saw something once about a playpark near Springfield ,Ohio on the Miami,Mad, or Scioto,I can't remember which.A friend is flying into Dayton for Gauley fest,I was trying to find beta for him about it ,but now can't find it,thought it was on the AW site.Anybody know?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Totally forgot about the Williamston Whitewater Park in Michigan.

check it out here: Williamston White Water Project

It is a truly sad testament to how little people in Michigan give a rats ass about the minority of us boaters.

It has to be one of the most polluted stretches of stream in the world...

·
Registered
69 Posts
http://homepage.mac.com/erikcarlson/web/williamston.html

It is a truly sad testament to how little people in Michigan give a rats ass about the minority of us boaters.

It has to be one of the most polluted stretches of stream in the world...
well, it is michigan...

The whitewater park convention was held at the Wisp this year, on Deep Creek Lake, in Maryland. They just built a park there with the new inflatable systems, so with the touch of a button, they can change the rapids

1 - 14 of 14 Posts