Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I need new tubes. After a lot of consideration I really want a set of Lion 14 tubes. 70 percent of what I do is fishing and the occasional extended trip, but I love to go play on the weekends on the Lochsaw, Blackfoot etc. Although the Lion is a gear boat, the 14 has a pretty short waterline and the oversized tubes should keep it shallow so it seems like it may not work too bad as play boat when running light. Does anyone have experience playing with a Lion? I would especially like to see some vids/pics if anyone has any. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The 14' Lion does everything well, had the pleasure of rowing one down the Salt...that being said do you need the floatation of the Lion? Or could you get away with the Aire Ocelot also a 14' but with 22" diameter tubes. The Lion is good for two up for a week trip with a moderate amount of gear, the Ocelot does the same thing but maybe with one person and a moderate amount of gear.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I concur on the Ocelot. I have one and can carry my share of group gear for a week long trip. It is overloaded with two people for a week trip.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Good all around boat.

I have a 14' Lion and love it. It has taken me down Lodore, Cat, The Main, 45 Ranch to Rome on the upper Owyhee, Cross Mt.,The Salt, The Alpine section of The Snake. Fished the Green near Pinedale, the town of Green Green river and below Flaming Gorge Dam.
I have hauled the kitchen and other group gear, had no gear for one day floats. I ussally do not have a passenger with me when on the higher class of rapids, but have only not had passenger three of nine trips through Lodore. I love the Lion as a great all around cat.
So far no legitimate complaints about the Lion.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the NRS equivalent and they're super fun on stuff like the lochsa, the gorge, etc. I like the larger diameter for big trips and it doesn't seem to hurt the play factor when I'm not carrying a load.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankyou all for your help. I like it, but the Ocelot is too much of a playboat for my use. I frequent 2 to 3 other people on my boat for day trips and I hope to get good enough to get invited or permitted to do some week trips with two people and gear. I was going back and forth between the Jaguarundi and the Lion 14. I've heard that the Jaguarundi can be tricky to load so if the Lion will play, that is the boat for me. Thanks again for all of your help.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Thankyou all for your help. I like it, but the Ocelot is too much of a playboat for my use. I frequent 2 to 3 other people on my boat for day trips and I hope to get good enough to get invited or permitted to do some week trips with two people and gear. I was going back and forth between the Jaguarundi and the Lion 14. I've heard that the Jaguarundi can be tricky to load so if the Lion will play, that is the boat for me. Thanks again for all of your help.
See if you can find a Sotar legend with some fat oversized tubes

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See if you can find a Sotar legend with some fat oversized tubes
I really like Sotar and Maravia, but I've only been on one big trip (as a passenger) and on that trip two boats were punctured by the same rock. One of the boats took 24 hours to repair while the Aire was back in the water within an hour due to the inner bladder. That sold me on Aire. I'm an accident prone amateur so I think it would be a good idea to be easily repairable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts