Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always done a float trip down the ohio river every fall and always borrowed a boat. Now I think it's time I buy a boat. I would really like to whitewater some so I was looking at the Karma from Jackson. Now I'm new to whitewater kayaks and was wondering if the Karma has a small storage compartment in the rear for small stuff (knife, flashlight, etc.). Also, would it be possible to paddle on the open water or would it be bad? I'm talking like slow moving open water like the ohio river or big bodies of water such as Lake Erie. Would the karma be ok for that or would I be better off buying an expedition kayak? Keep in mind I would really want to do some whitewater as well.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The Karma does not have a storage compartment, but plenty of room for several drybags in the stern to store gear. Whitewater boats are slow and do not track well on the flatwater, so while they work most people do not enjoy the experience. If you plan to do more flatwater maybe look at the Karma unlimited or the RG with the hatch and skeg. People are using those two for the grand and self support whitewater trips.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts