Mountain Buzz banner

Whitewater is Back In Green River Wyoming 9/15/09

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Awoody 
#1 ·
The City of Green River has invested $1,000,000 in rebuilding it's whitewater park at Expedition Island. The orginal park built in 2002 failed due to scour during high flows. With the rebuild, you can expect a world class rodeo hole with state of the art adjustment to both pinch the notch and adjust the downstream lip of the drop. The coffer dams about the new feature are scheduled to be breached on 9/15/09. Photos are of the new feature and of a bonus wave that formed when the river was diverted through the north channel of Expedition Island to facilitate construction of the new drop. The new dop is engineered to perform at varing flows and is built to last. The river will likley be at 1200 CFS for opening day with a higher release requested for the weekend of 9/19 for testing and tuning. Come up and enjoy and let the boaters be noted in Green River. The City has invested a lot of $$ to promote boater tourism. Let them know you are there. Expect a grand opening during the summer of 2010.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The contrator is required to breech the coffer dams on the 15th. The structure is completed. They have some bank work remaining. They do have a release scheduled for the 19th for tuning. The release may last into the 20th. At this time the amount of the release is to be determined. The river is currently running at 1200 CFS.

#7 ·
Green River Feature Better Than Ever!

I was in Green River Sunday when the diversion dams were breeched and water flowed over the new drop. On Sunday the wave was good. I spent the day on the wave on Tuesday. The tailwater dropped as the river flushed below the feature. The engineer dialed in the wave on Monday. I'm a big guy at 250# and paddling a Super Fun. Didn't hit bottom when endering and it was retentive enough to roll up in the hole. The tuning ability will allow dailing in the wave at various flows. Today the flow was 1200 CFS. Fontenelle is reducing flow to 1000 CFS today for the next couple months. I expect it will still be outstanding at 1000 CFS. They still have room to raise the top gates if needed to pinch the flow. No doubt this is a National Class Rodeo Hole. The Contractor will be boating on their creation the weekend of 9/19 and 9/20. Come on up as they will be there to access the controls and dial it in for you. If you stop in a business while in Green River let them know your are a boater.

The feature was desgined and engineered by McLaughin. These guys are the real deal. The feature was built to stay and will be there for decades to come unlike the first attempt in Green River by others. Contact info follows:

McLaughlin Water Engineers, Ltd.
2300 15th Street, Suite 220
Denver, CO 80202
T 303.964.3333
F 303.964.3355

Attachments

#11 ·
Aaron, our company used to write the insurance for your shop. The outfitter and guide exposure, your climbing wall, store, etc... I stopped in your shop a couple of years ago, I didn't get to meet you. I worked with an agent who is a good friend of yours and also a boater. I think you know who he is. Have fun in our state during your brief visit.

Skyman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.