Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm passing through Charlotte in a few months. Is visiting the Whitewater center there worthwhile?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, very fun and worth a trip. Oh, Matty didn't shallow in places...combine with fast and you know the result. Tuck hard! It was a little more intense than your typical whitewater park, which is really a good thing.

Also be forewarned that they really don't do gear rentals...or at least they didn't a couple years ago when I went. They did do demos. The difference? There's a time limit on demos. I think two hours. And I don't think the solution is as easy as back to back to back two hour demos...they're onto that. I'm not sure why they're not willing to rent gear for the day. Maybe that policy has changed since I understand they're a little hurting for revenue.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had a good time paddling there. A couple things that took me by surprise were:

1. the water is warm, almost too warm and it was the end of September. I actually got hot paddling with just my pfd on. ..and the water stinks a bit

2. It is almost like paddling in a canal or concrete lined ditch. As mentioned, squirrly eddies and surprisingly sticky spots that you wouldn't normally would suspect they would stick you so bad.

3. I am pissed because they will let their guides take rafts down (actually they heavily promote it) but they wouldn't let me take my 12' hyside down. WTF? I can take my own kayak, but I can't take my own raft, yet rafts are allowed for commercial groups? Doesn't seem fair at all. East coast wierdness against rafters, just like Gauley companies not willing to rent me pfd's.

Hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts