1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Both of those are great websites. I like Mike's a lot obviously because he is a Western Slope man, but he's also got a great eye for photography. Some amazing shots on there.

The Bomb Flow boys transitioned into Substantial Media House a while back. Grew up a little bit but still lots of great kayaking.

Leif & Natalie are fun to follow.

LiquidLore is a nice resource for Canada boating. They've got a good beta website and a decent blog.

And Darin McQuoid runs a nice, clean self-titled website, a modern progeny of his original "jscreekin". Not that much on heavy content, but always has phenomenal pictures, and good product reviews and photography advice.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The CKS blog is being revamped as we speak. Look for more gear reviews and trip reports in the next few weeks. On that note, what kind of posts do people want to see? I'd love to hear some suggestions!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Seems like many of the really progressive kayakers don't take the time for a proper blog and just have channels on Vimeo or YouTube. Aniol & Gerd (SBP) and the Wells Bros Mountain Mind Collective are amazing...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
doesn't need a fake name
481 Posts
Second shout out to Darin Mcquoid. He posted a bunch of updates recently.

This is an inspiration to write some more blog content. I'm on it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the posts guys. I'm ok with links to vimeo/youtube accounts or just cool videos too....

CKS linked a great Black Canyon video in an email from them this morning. It's a few years old, but I hadn't seen it and there is at least 1 or 2 Buzz members in it.

https://vimeo.com/36298473

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey thanks for the shout out, I've been trying to get caught up, it's not as easy these days as I'm doing more "real work". After a hundred plus trip reports I find it hard to have too much to say about rivers. There were rapids and a couple portages, we had a good time...plus less new rivers every year, and the drought...fifty laps on the Kaweah didn't leave me with a whole lot to say. Hopefully more variety with the el nino thing this year.

To the best of my knowledge all of The Range Life crew has retired from serious kayaking. What a shame as they had great writing. Cody @ HH had a few back to back injuries and is currently living & working in AZ, we all know how good the paddling is there. He assures me he's scouted some incredible desert first descents, not sure if he'll be able to drag me away from California for that though ;)

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Darin, as someone who has been reading your work from when you first started JSCreekin, you don't need to feel anything except pride. Even if you were to flat-out stop tomorrow and never update your site again it would still be a huge resource. Your site has revealed the CA Classics in ways that no other site or source has, and shined some great light on many other amazing runs around the globe, many rivers and creeks that not many other boaters will see. We boaters (and those who appreciate awesome photography) appreciate your page more than you know! Big thanks to you for all your hard work!!!

Interesting bit about Cody. Hadn't heard about the injuries, that's a bummer. His AZ finds were pretty neat. There is something fantastic about desert and water together. Such a unique combination of such contrasting environments. He's sussed out some awesome looking runs in AZ before and I'm sure he's got more amazing ones lined up. I know it seems like I have a big bro crush on Cody at times but really it's more an appreciation for seeing the random pieces of desert whitewater he exposes in the intricate face of Arizona. Excited to see more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks Yeti, I too look forward to seeing what Cody finds out there. His motivation to find stuff was always impressive. I think the lack of snow has held people back from exploring obscure runs the last two years, no one wants to do a portage fest if the season is only a week long in the drought.

There is still a surprising amount of undocumented stuff in California, hopefully we'll see more grass roots exploring instead of jeep commercials ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts