Mountain Buzz banner

In which format would like to see the White Water Safety Movie?

• NTSC-DVD (USA / Canada region specific DVD / TV)

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • HD Download

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • PAL (Europe - for non regional DVD / TV)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland. I have a question for you guys!

The New White Water Safety Movie that has just been released in Europe is being converted to NTSC format for the USA / Canada.

Its White Water Safety & Rescue split into 10 easy to follow chapters to introduce anyone to the basic concepts and techniques that help us all stay safer and have more fun on the river.

The instructional movie was filmed at the Rio Noguera Pallaresa in the Spanish Pyrenees, on multiple HD cameras by award winning filmmaker Paul Diffley and edited by a TV editor here in Scotland.

We're trying to gauge interest so that we can estimate how many copies to get duplicated at the start so as not to disappoint anyone.

For more information have a look at our website;

Eddyline Films - White Water Safety Movie

Or come and see us on Facebook

Please let us know if you are interested, we are working on getting NTSC and Download formats for you.

Its written, presented and produced by my friend Dougie Shannon and me, Bruce Jolliffe.

Any questions you can contact me at [email protected]

Best wishes,

Bruce

Thanks to Andy Horn for letting us post here to start with. Once we get NTSC DVDs and the Downloads sorted we'll be lurking in the commercial forum.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
What?!? I just bought my first bluray player wed. Still have vhs set up on our 2nd tv too....

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
lhowemt said:
What?!? I just bought my first bluray player wed. Still have vhs set up on our 2nd tv too....
Yeah but thats only cause they haven't released the chippendales christmas special on any other format

·
Registered
25 Posts
It looks really good from the teaser and I'm sure a huge amount of effort has gone in, but I'm not sure how many people would pay 20 quid for a DVD or download....

How long is the video?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
White Water Safety Movie - Run time

Hi PhilM,

The runtime is 95 minutes (approx).

When you think that our price is similar to the going rate for most new kayak vids that are 45 minutes long then it represents twice the value.

And then consider that it is not a watch once DVD, its a reference material that people will go back to again and again.

And it has been produced using TV industry professionals.

Actually, for 20 quid, you're getting quite a lot. The download will be slightly cheaper as production costs drop with their being no physical thing to send out.

I hope that helps clarify.

Best wishes,

Bruce

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fair point!! Yeah, saving a few pounds for the download would be good, and 95 minutes is a lot of footage. Count me in!!

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
Whitewater safety and rescue is best taught in a classroom/river environment. Would you take a Wilderness First Responder class by video? How about a climber's rescue clinic? In my opinion, at any price, this is not the best way to learn important skills. Take a SWR class, boat with experienced boaters, practice knots and systems, and learn through real world experience is my suggestion.

CROAA has its outfitters showing an animated safety video to commercial rafting guests now to limit liability and it's stupid! These are question and answer concepts, even for the first timer. Videos are a great way to present noncritical educational materials, but I don't see them replacing the outdoor classroom.

As a supplement this could be a good tool, however and I hope it helps save lives. Just make sure you market it as a supplement to proper teaching.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Whitewater safety and rescue is best taught in a classroom/river environment. Would you take a Wilderness First Responder class by video? How about a climber's rescue clinic? In my opinion, at any price, this is not the best way to learn important skills. Take a SWR class, boat with experienced boaters, practice knots and systems, and learn through real world experience is my suggestion.

CROAA has its outfitters showing an animated safety video to commercial rafting guests now to limit liability and it's stupid! These are question and answer concepts, even for the first timer. Videos are a great way to present noncritical educational materials, but I don't see them replacing the outdoor classroom.

As a supplement this could be a good tool, however and I hope it helps save lives. Just make sure you market it as a supplement to proper teaching.
I agree that a formal classroom and river practice environment is necessary. I also like the video resources for those just wanting to refresh from time to time.

As far as the whole "blu-ray is dead", I say what ev... It'll be around long enough for people to transition. No need to panic quite yet. Hell, you can still find vhs players that work. Damn, I remember renting vhs players.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Formal Training & Experience

Hey Randaddy & Hojo,

That's a good point you raise about real learning.

From the outset, in making this project, myself and Dougie were wanting to put something out there that could be used as a reference material to back up real training & experience. We're not suggesting for a moment that you can watch the DVD and have it all sussed. Its another resource, a reminder, or as you put it Randaddy 'a tool'.

Dougie and I are both White Water Safety & Rescue trainers over in Scotland (a particularly cold, dank and unforgiving country) and the thing we notice more than anything else is that people are human, and no-one can remember absolutely everything that you try to teach them on a course.

We just want to help paddlers do what is fundamentally one of the best things you can do to help your boating buddies. That is; learn more, practise more, be better, more aware and supportive.

There are plenty of times throughout the film that we say "learn about your stuff", "practise', "go on a course", "get out there paddling". I think "go on a course" might even be the last thing we say!

There is no substitute for learning, practise & experience.
And variety is the spice of life. (i.e. courses, books and DVDs)

Bruce

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
Thanks Bruce for the follow-up. As a former trainer of river guides I often relied on quizzing the staff on their skills each season. I would much rather they had watched a comprehensive video to refresh their skills than waste an hour of my time, which resulted in re-teaching anyway. I hope the project works out. If I can offer a suggestion, make sure you have some Americans edit it for colloquial terminology and style so it's appealing over here. I would be less likely to buy something from people halfway across the world if I had the sense that it would be confusing, uncomfortable, or different than what I was familiar with. No offense intended, just a note that "Americanizing" something like this will absolutely increase good reviews and sales. Also make sure it includes raft safety as we have thousands of raft guides over here, all which might be good candidates for this sort of organized information. Best of luck- I'll look froward to your video!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
White Water Safety Movie - Digital Download

Following on from our release of the White Water Safety Instructional Movie on PAL DVD it is now also available here via Digital Download here.

Just click the big green button and you can download via Digital Goods Store for £15.75 GBP. Thats less than $25 USD.

If anyone requires a copy on NTSC format DVD please get in touch.

Many thanks,

Bruce

1 - 13 of 13 Posts