Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a white water getaway for labor day. Does anyone know of a good place to go?
Thanks.
Liz

·
Registered
984 Posts
Dare I suggest big bend? You are in Texas. Don't know the system tho, maybe there's not much water there either.

Colorado has mostly gone bony, and all the good stuff currently running out west requires permits. You could start monitoring for cancellations in Idaho (sounds like REALLY low water there too), Westwater, San Juan, Lodore, Deso, etc.

Not sure about the non permitted stretches in ID/PNW/CA, perhaps someone from there will chime in, but that's a long trip. Not really any longer than the eastern rivers tho.

Cataract Canyon is a very easy permit to secure, but takes a week without motor assist.

Diamond down in GC may work, but really expensive tribe fees and shuttle may not make that worth it.

Wassup with the Rio Grande in NM?

Slim Pickens...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lower Salmon

I did The Lower Salmon last year (September cast n blast) and even at low level it's pretty amazing. Good fishing, great beaches, non permitted, beautiful. A bit of a drive from TX though. The last day pull out of Snake Lake sucks, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I could be wrong but I think the tietan would be running.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
267 Posts
At this time of the year I think the southeast will be your best bet.....BUT....I live in Colorado so I am unsure of current SE water levels. ....but I would guess that rivers like the chattoga and gaulley have better water levels than western rivers I have run these rivers and they are fun

The one western exception in gore canyon it is at fun level....and it can be done via a commercial outfitter or as private boater BUT this is a tough class V run

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts