Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done the 90mile trip down the white river. Like to hear about the trip and any advice on doing it. Likely would it in april before the killer heat and bugs

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's popular with canoeing boy scouts and beginner kayakers. If it rains, be prepared for an epic takeout. The roads are all sticky clay. Look up "gilsonite." It's a super slippery clay that they mine in the area. It's oil and gas country as well. Even a good 4x4 will struggle up and down the mucky hills.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apperciate the road advice. Something I will keep in mind. Sounds like if rains plan to just hang out for day for the roads to clear

·
Registered
993 Posts
If your looking for a remote, easy trip with few other boaters, and basically no blm regs, then this is a great option.

April is cold... but there should be good water by then. There's alot of nice boggie water. A ute tribe permit is a good idea, be careful if you go without one if your trespassing.

It's a long way from Washington but there's alot of worthwhile recreation in the area. Fantasy canyon (blm), dino nm is awesome be sure to spend some time on the Colorado side, the views of the confluence in echo park is awesome!

·
Registered
48 Posts
how do you get a raft out of labyrinth - last I called no one would jet a raft out.

but why the advice on not doing the white?

I find the scenery of labyrinth to be that much more spectacular. I've done the White in April, and if it is a warm spring, the flies are legendary. The nice thing about the white is the lack of people. It is a good isolated flatwater float. Sorry if I came across as negative, it was simply my attempt at brevity.

I also assumed you would be in a canoe. You know what is said about assuming. Stop by on your way through town and I'll apologize over a pint.

Rob.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I find the scenery of labyrinth to be that much more spectacular. I've done the White in April, and if it is a warm spring, the flies are legendary. The nice thing about the white is the lack of people. It is a good isolated flatwater float. Sorry if I came across as negative, it was simply my attempt at brevity.

I also assumed you would be in a canoe. You know what is said about assuming. Stop by on your way through town and I'll apologize over a pint.

Rob.
was just digging for advice so comments have been great. Actually was hoping the white was a bit more downhill then the lower green. I using a Cat boat. I think I would use a small motor on the green but was hoping maybe I could get by without one on the white?

·
Registered
134 Posts
We floated it from Bonanza to the Enron takeout about five years ago. It was May and the water was moving pretty fast (2000cfs?). On Memorial Day weekend we only saw one other trip and they were in canoes and we never saw them after the put-in. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of camp options on the upper end of the float but there was one nice camp about 2/3's of the way down on river left. The majority of the float was swift moving flatwater with a few downed cottonwoods and a few small rapids. The year we were there the biting flies weren't bad but I have friends who own grazing land over there and they say that the bugs can be legendary. The scenery from the water is nice but it is gas country once you get out of the main canyon. I haven't floated the stretch from Rangley to Bonanza but it appears to be a little less remote.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The guy who suggested Labyrinth has it right, town of green river or lower, take out at Mineral Bottom. 70 mile wilderness float. Or float down to Spanish Bottom too and make it over a hundred. I've had that monster jet boat pass me every day on the way down from Potash, and it stacks canoes on top. Negotiate with the commercial companies. Offer to fold your boat up in a bag, etc. I find it incredulous that one or another company in Moab would turn down 300+ bucks to haul your rig. That is what we pay for a cataract car shuttle for two trucks. Most of those folks will help you out if you are half-way civil or better.

Why not the White? Remote, even by Utah standards. Small desert river and canyon in featureless clay desert. Myriad marked and un-marked dirt roads to deal with. Roads follow along above the canyon, and down into it in some cases. Possible flood-stage in April with whole mature cottonwoods as fixed and mobile strainers. Tight, twisty river with plenty of imbedded beaver-sharpened sticks and other challenges at all flow levels. Cows. Boy Scouts. Canoes.

Why float it? Birds and animals a' plenty. Remote. I've run it from Colorado down to the confluence numerous times from 450 cfs to 7000cfs. A couple days and nights of spring rain made for an interesting trip.
If you crave adventure, go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The guy who suggested Labyrinth has it right, town of green river or lower, take out at Mineral Bottom. 70 mile wilderness float. Or float down to Spanish Bottom too and make it over a hundred. I've had that monster jet boat pass me every day on the way down from Potash, and it stacks canoes on top. Negotiate with the commercial companies. Offer to fold your boat up in a bag, etc. I find it incredulous that one or another company in Moab would turn down 300+ bucks to haul your rig. That is what we pay for a cataract car shuttle for two trucks. Most of those folks will help you out if you are half-way civil or better.

Why not the White? Remote, even by Utah standards. Small desert river and canyon in featureless clay desert. Myriad marked and un-marked dirt roads to deal with. Roads follow along above the canyon, and down into it in some cases. Possible flood-stage in April with whole mature cottonwoods as fixed and mobile strainers. Tight, twisty river with plenty of imbedded beaver-sharpened sticks and other challenges at all flow levels. Cows. Boy Scouts. Canoes.

Why float it? Birds and animals a' plenty. Remote. I've run it from Colorado down to the confluence numerous times from 450 cfs to 7000cfs. A couple days and nights of spring rain made for an interesting trip.
If you crave adventure, go.

I do so apperciate peoples advice on this. Still like to idea of the adventure. I am intrested in doing the Green sometime too. Problem with green was finding a jetboat that would take cats and Rafts even rolled up. Their use to be several outfitters that did that a few years back. I also know you still can get your smaller crafts out but not the bigger boats. So if you know someone that currently does this let me know.

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
White River Flow Survey - your input needed!

Great info here. The White's a pleasant, peaceful float where you can get away from the crowds (or at least it was about 10 years ago). I'd like to encourage everyone else who has floated the White to visit the White River Flow Survey thread and to take the linked survey.

Labyrinth is another similar float with more spectacular canyons, and you can drive to Mineral Bottom to take out before entering Stillwater Canyon and going the rest of the way to the confluence with the Colorado. Below Mineral Bottom you'll either need a jetboat or really strong arms to get back upstream if you don't want to run Cataract Canyon. A buddy of mine met a group of army guys once on the Colorado paddling canoes back upstream to Potash. We need to pay our fellows in the armed services more! :)

Thanks,

-AH

·
Vendor
124 Posts
White River Survey

For those that have floated the White and even for those who'd like to float the White River, AW has a new survey up on the White and we need your input!

WHITE RIVER SURVEY

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Evan

·
Vendor
124 Posts
Whoops, double post Andy. Must have been at the same time. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have floated Labyrinth a bunch of times in the 70's and 80's from Green River, UT and Mineral Bottom down in a kayak and raft. And the White down to a suitable takeout (don't remember the name but it was near oil fields) from Rangely, CO in a touring kayak a few years back. Both are great floats. Mineral bottom down has plenty of campsites. From Green River, UT down you were searching for campsites because the Tamarisk trees had taken over the sand bars. I understand they are all dead now but I would guess camps are still scarce. The White has enough sand bars to camp on if the group is not too big. You probably won't run into anyone.

Since most of the rafting to the confluence is done on the Colorado side I would guess you won't run into many people. And it is gorgeous!

·
Registered
11 Posts
white fluid flow

Floated the White from Rangely on down to Green River in a touring kayak and it was a most remarkable journey.
The fluid flow lines of the White were perhaps the most pleasing of any river as it meanders through the flats before joining the Green.
I think taking out at Sand Wash is easier? or continue to Green River and a more complete journey.
It is cattle country so pristine beaches aren't going to happen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts