Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7’ x 14’ cat and expect flows to be at 1000 for Friday. Is that appropriate for this river? I haven’t found a lot of info online nor on this forum. Any experiences or insight is appreciated!

·
Registered
66 Posts
You won't have a problem taking a 14ft cat at that flow. Did it in my 16ft oval with no problem. Have fun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did this on may 7th with 950 cfs in 2 x 16' catarafts, and a 13' raft, we had no problems and we floated from trujillo wash to enron in 5 days. There where of course some downed trees to maneuver around and camp spots where not the greatest as banks are pretty washed out but we managed. Stick to the main channel and not the adventure routes so you don't get yourself down a side channel where there will be a cottonwood and you will be fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As far as I know this river doesn't exist. I wouldn't waste your time with it.

But it is possible that someone ran Bonanza to Enron last weekend at about 1100 cfs and was able to easily navigate in a fairly loaded 16' oar rig. Should be fine at anything above 800 or so. Strainers are bad as always, but easy to navigate around, just pay attention. Worst was a full tree across most of the river about 200 yards upstream of Goblin City trailhead. Current wants to pull you right into the tree. But stay right and you'll be fine, maybe a minor brush. Friend who is less experienced and had an even more loaded boat got caught on a couple gravel bars but no big deal.

And surprisingly there were lots of sandy beaches, more than I've ever seen on this river. Didn't mess with any of the tree sites with skin-pokers everywhere, and camped on some pretty nice sand beaches. That's a first for the white.

And I say this river doesn't exist because I've ran it about a dozen times and never seen more than one other boat. There were about 5-6 other groups on last weekend, most I've ever seen. Word is getting out, but I guess you only have about a month of the year to run it in a raft anyway.

https://imgur.com/a/PLW5KGX

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, the river doesn’t exist. Stay away. Dropped in at 800 and took out at 1100. If I had been paying attention to the current, I wouldn’t have scraped the bottom of my cat. Had a 13’ raft and 14’ cat. Got worked in the slow water and all day wind, camps were ok but not plentiful, All in all, river time is always a good time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts