Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for data on the White River--Rangely to the Green Confluence. We are thinking of floating (rubber) this on the way to Deso/Grey in late May. I know its flat, and about 80 miles. Hows camping, etc? Any play worth bringing the plastic? Thx

·
Super Moderator
3,960 Posts
Its a beautiful float through sandstone canyons. You should have plenty of water in late May. Not the most pristine due to grazing and oil/gas but it should be a great lead in to Deso.

Enjoy!

--Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
From Rangely you'll be in farmland for about 15 miles before it enters canyon. There is a small rapid at Cowboy Canyon (class I, II on a good day). The rest of the run is glass.

Launch downstream of Rangely to avoid a possibly low/ narrow bridge and the view of peoples backyards.

Camping isn't a problem, lots of open areas. Cowboy Canyon has a nice camp, and Goblin Valley is popular. I think most of the lower run is BLM so you can camp wherever.

Once you pass the Gas Wells takeout, you're on the Reservation. You will need to obtain a permit from the Res to paddle, take out, etc. I've never paddled below Gas Wells for that reason. That and I don't like my truck being broken into.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts