Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a trip on the green this coming weekend.. What is everyone's opinions on bringing a Coleman white gas burning stove and can of fuel on the river? Got it as a gift but would have prefered the propane version. In the past I have used backpacking camp burners with the small propane canisters.. Doing a very flatwater section so I think the odds of a spill or swamping are pretty slim but the thought of a worse case scenario of the fuel can falling in the river somehow worries me a little..

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
If you're as diligent and watchful of the fuel can as you are the beer, you should be fine - just make sure its not in with or next to the food. If its not too late to return it for a propane stove, I highly recommend that.

Have a good trip!

-AH

·
Registered
47 Posts
the thought of a worse case scenario of the fuel can falling in the river somehow worries me a little..
Why would a fuel can fall in anymore that anything else on the raft? especially a propane canister? They are the same thing...strap them down

I prefer white gas because the canisters are refillable (atleast the ones I use) and you don't just throw them away each time...and you know how much is left.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would a fuel can fall in anymore that anything else on the raft? especially a propane canister? They are the same thing...strap them down.
You're right, I can't imagine losing one on a flat water trip but just wanted to be sure it wasn't considered bad river ettiquite..

·
Registered
113 Posts
The white gas is sold in gallon containers and can then be transfered to Aluminum fuel bottles. These bottles are very durable and can be re-used. This of course eliminates the waste of yet another propane cylinder. I think it burns better anyway. I also have to agree with Andy H. treat is as if it were your last beer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The white gas is sold in gallon containers and can then be transfered to Aluminum fuel bottles. These bottles are very durable and can be re-used. This of course eliminates the waste of yet another propane cylinder. I think it burns better anyway. I also have to agree with Andy H. treat is as if it were your last beer.
That is what I use. Just wondering if people use disposable white gas. Sounds like a bad idea to me...environmentally atleast.

·
Registered
869 Posts
As far as I know, there aren't any disposable white gas containers. I suppose you could throw away each MSR bottle as you go through it, but otherwise they're not like the propane or butane canisters, since they don't need to be pre-pressurized.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Just bought a new mrs pocket stove for this year. super light weight and boils in about 3 minutes it cost about $40 for the stove which is a bomb ass deal super leight weight like 3 oz or something like that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've always used white gas.

I have used it to clean the rubber on my raft when I patched it. And for high altitude camping it beats propane all to heck for heat. I have some propane stoves but like my old white gas one best. Never had a spill on the river. Usually don't have to refill the tank and I've had groups of 20+ for 4-5 days before Ron.

·
Registered
71 Posts
white gas is more cost effective per BTU delivered,and doesnt generate the endless landfill throwaway containers.secondly,using a larger refillable 5/10/20 lb propane bottle,w/the proper adapter hose,is much better than the throwaway 1 lb variety.i'd like to believe that those who use those "convinent" mini-stoves(never seen a large dinner get done,on one container),with throwaway canisters,actually pack them back out of the wilderness,but the trashed slopes of everest,and other areas,attest to the slacker mentality involved---macho climbers/hunters/outdoorsman who packed it in full,but wont pack out the empty---what kind of outdoor ethic is that?and another big plus for white gas:when a-holes have siphoned your tank dry,on your shuttle vehicle,or someone spaced filling up at the last outpost before the river,white gas will get you going to the next station----cant say the same for propane,butane,etc.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
white gas is more cost effective per BTU delivered,and doesnt generate the endless landfill throwaway containers.secondly,using a larger refillable 5/10/20 lb propane bottle,w/the proper adapter hose,is much better than the throwaway 1 lb variety.i'd like to believe that those who use those "convinent" mini-stoves(never seen a large dinner get done,on one container),with throwaway canisters,actually pack them back out of the wilderness,but the trashed slopes of everest,and other areas,attest to the slacker mentality involved---macho climbers/hunters/outdoorsman who packed it in full,but wont pack out the empty---what kind of outdoor ethic is that?and another big plus for white gas:when a-holes have siphoned your tank dry,on your shuttle vehicle,or someone spaced filling up at the last outpost before the river,white gas will get you going to the next station----cant say the same for propane,butane,etc.

most people do not need to cook a pot rost with all the sides when they are boating. personally to say all people who use convenient mini stoves are all lazy and trash everything is abit much of a statement. i beleive the ones who do carry little if any really appreciate nature more than those who always induldge inthem selves. until youve been in the true wild you will not appreciate it. about everest it is commercial now just like the majority of colorado rivers. the rivers are surely trashed more than all the bottles on everest.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Propane converter

Century makes a propane adapter that is easy to use on the old (and new?)Coleman green White Gas stoves. I found it at Walmart a few years ago while looking for replacement parts for an older white gas stove I have. It works great.

http://www.centurycamping.com/accessories/propane/

See the '2118 Regulated Converter'

Nice thing is, you can switch between propane or white gas depending on your trip/preference, etc.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have always taken the bigger Coleman two burner stove and a smaller white gas backpacking stove on raft trips. Better to have backup so if one has problems you still have something to cook with. Never had a problem with any Al fuel containers on any whitewater. I just pack the fuel separate in their own drybag or ammo box. If it were to spill it would then be contained just fine. But like I said, those fuel bottles are bomber. I have had climbing partners drop them on Tangerine Dream out in Yosemite and they have survived the fall with just dents.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Century makes a propane adapter that is easy to use on the old (and new?)Coleman green White Gas stoves. I found it at Walmart a few years ago while looking for replacement parts for an older white gas stove I have. It works great.

http://www.centurycamping.com/accessories/propane/

See the '2118 Regulated Converter'

Nice thing is, you can switch between propane or white gas depending on your trip/preference, etc.

That is pretty cool..

As far as whisperlites go, mine is a propane model and so far I have never used a whole 8oz can yet on a trip, even when I spent 3 days in the Boundary Waters I came back with fuel to spare.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I too have more gas camping appliances than propane for all the same reasons as mentioned but for a small portable grill I have I still need the propane tanks. They don't have to be disposable though, just like those other adapters they sell an adapter to refill the 1lb bottles off of your big 20lb bbq tank. I know Cabela's and probably many other places has it. I've been recycling the same two bottles for probably going on 8 years now. Makes those little tanks like 25 cents to refill too. I think the adapter is like $15. buying those tanks is just a rip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts