Mountain Buzz banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wall tent, no question. Walls let you push the stove, kitchen, cots, etc up against the wall and be able to walk/stand in the middle.

Canvas wall tents are the best because they breathe. Canvas wall tents would be the worst for river trips since they'd suck up water like a sponge. If you coat them so they don't saturate, then they don't breathe..so may as well go nylon wall tent.

Something like this would seem to strike a balance between packability, ease of setup, room, etc:
But $1,300? low whistle
Kinda why I continue to think of various popup tent solutions with walls for caterings and for festivals, and recognizing I need proper ventilation, and to have a vestibule or one wall open to prevent carbon monoxide. I know that the mechanism to open it up will likely fail in sand, and I need to stake the hell out of it. 10'x20' Waterproof Pop Up Canopy Tent with Sides – The Display Outlet

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Kinda why I continue to think of various popup tent solutions with walls for caterings and for festivals, and recognizing I need proper ventilation, and to have a vestibule or one wall open to prevent carbon monoxide. I know that the mechanism to open it up will likely fail in sand, and I need to stake the hell out of it. 10'x20' Waterproof Pop Up Canopy Tent with Sides – The Display Outlet
We have a 10'x10'. You definitely get what you pay for. Buy the best one you can afford.
I've seen a 10'x20' at the Lochsa used as a hot tent. Pretty sweet. they set one end up over the campground picnic table and set their cots up in the other end.

Canvas Tents for Cold Weather Camping
ultimate light weight canvas!
I have a seek outside wall tent I might possibly sell ya( the court house) lol. Dm lol
Surprisingly light. ~20lb tent and ~13lb frame. Wouldn't backpack with it, but I assume it's small enough it could be packed in a Bills bag.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I really like Springbar tents for a great mix of size, breathability, pack size, and comparative weight. Plus all materials are US sourced, they're made in Salt Lake, the owners are boaters, and they support the community. Just got off a chilly Lodore trip with my Outfitter and loved it, and it will be going on the Grand next May. I was a skeptic for years, but am a convert now.

PS, I thought everyone stored their tent in a dry box or dry bag?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I’ve never been on the Grand Canyon ever more or less in winter but most days I’d bet you just needed dry and to dry clothes. I think another fine solution would be a nice tarp and add a wood stove stove pipe deal to it. These little stoves are so stinking hot that you’d be cozy and you’d dry your stuff in all but the worst weather and you could double duty in your hot tent easy enough if the weather was really bad. My hot tents are just that-hot. Sometimes it’s a life saver. Other times it’s just hot and I’d like less lol

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Plant Sky Tree Grass Leisure

I got this tarp this year. It was kinda expensive (300 something) but not as bad as the guy in Idaho lol. I’ll buy a stove vent for it and see if iam right on a spring float. Maybe you guys can come with? Pizza oven in there would heat everyone up and make your mouth water. This company also sells a “hot “ version but??? They are Japanese…snow peak? Can’t remember buddy Japanese

·
Registered
134 Posts
I got this tarp this year. It was kinda expensive (300 something) but not as bad as the guy in Idaho lol. I’ll buy a stove vent for it and see if i am right on a spring float. Maybe you guys can come with? Pizza oven in there would heat everyone up and make your mouth water. This company also sells a “hot “ version but??? They are Japanese…snow peak? Can’t remember buddy Japanese
Unlike many on this who lust for the River and can say sure, I have already turned down one invite for the GC February-March and am iffy on one for September on the Main Salmon. Life intervenes, and although I say being a physician is a pain and I can't leave folks in the lurch, it is more of knowing I am using my PTO for family health issues. I will do this, it will happen, doubt this next year although life does change as well.

I would likely string another wing in an L-shape against the wind (my old MSR and couple year old NRS), as I am still running against the wind.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I've done two winter Grand trips... one in February/March and another in November/December. I brought a Luxe Megahorn hot tent with a LiteOutdoors titanium cylinder Stove on the later one....and never set it up. I also brought my Marmot Limelite 3p tent on both trips and most, but not all, nights I set that up. I definitely slept sans tent a bunch of nights too on both trips. I've heard of some prettty epicly cold trips in the Grand (like...it never went over 9 degrees for a few of the days) but my experience so far is it rarely gets much lower then high 20's.

March weather is actually really nice.... I think we put on February 23rd and it was kinda cold but we went from searching for sunny spots the first week to searching for shade the later part of the trip.

On the other trip...it got colder as the trip went on but never got frigid. We didn't even really get frost on the boats till the last few days. We did do a Sauna tent, made out of a Ice Fishing tent, but it actually got lost when the person carrying it flipped in Granit and didn't have it secured sufficiently. Someone had a stove made out of a rocket box to heat it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've done two winter Grand trips... one in February/March and another in November/December. I brought a Luxe Megahorn hot tent with a LiteOutdoors titanium cylinder Stove on the later one....and never set it up. I also brought my Marmot Limelite 3p tent on both trips and most, but not all, nights I set that up. I definitely slept sans tent a bunch of nights too on both trips. I've heard of some prettty epicly cold trips in the Grand (like...it never went over 9 degrees for a few of the days) but my experience so far is it rarely gets much lower then high 20's.

March weather is actually really nice.... I think we put on February 23rd and it was kinda cold but we went from searching for sunny spots the first week to searching for shade the later part of the trip.

On the other trip...it got colder as the trip went on but never got frigid. We didn't even really get frost on the boats till the last few days. We did do a Sauna tent, made out of a Ice Fishing tent, but it actually got lost when the person carrying it flipped in Granit and didn't have it secured sufficiently. Someone had a stove made out of a rocket box to heat it.
Launched March 5th 2020, got out to a whole new world. I don't really want to do summer trips any more there, I live in Maine, and Winter there would be delightful any time. Also nice on my ice and for my overnight refrigeration cooling needs

·
Registered
514 Posts
Thinking about a Christmas gift for me...I mean my wife :) I saw that Solo Stove came out with a portable pizza oven and that got me thinking.. And then I starting looking and there are tons of them available! Oonie and Roccbox get good reviews. And it seems they are easier to use with better insulation then the Solo. And the Solo is a little small. ( it will take a ton of 12 inch pizzas
One key feature to look for is a lip in the back of the oven that prevents the pizza from being pushed off the back edge, making a huge mess.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts