21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Make calzones instead.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have one. Should try it. Hell, I might give it a go in my driveway! I bet it would work well for re-heating my Steamboat stop pizza too!

👆👆👆👆👆👆Sophistication level = higher than the average MtnBuzzard. And threw some alliteration in there too??? WHAT?

How much is the average Subway sandwich? $8? 8 days X $8 = how much lunch meat, sliced cheese, and bread can I buy for that? Also Subway is barely food.
Fr
Make calzones instead.
Had a calzone I Florence, Italy last month, it had the stuff inside the dough folded over and the sauce on top. On my list of things to try

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Pizza is about the 4th post down.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I've tried DO pizzas a few times and on one trip someone brought a setup that basically used a webber grill with an attachment and we fired a bunch of pizzas on that.

I'll say.... you can get A LOT of the satisfaction of pizza just doing it on a Griddle though...

I haven't tried it on the river yet but I've done them a bunch of times on my electric griddle at home. They don't take long to make and you don't have to bring a big ole oven type setup. I bet a DIscada/Scottle setup would be pretty amazing for this too.

I'm definitely intrigued by the Pop Up Pit idea. A little worried about getting a coating of ash on the pizza but maybe worth it.

It should also be said that there are plenty of ways to go gourmet... I've made and had others make some pretty fucking gourmet meals on trips. On a trip last month we had 45 day dry aged Steak over pasta primavera with a Gorgonzola sauce and Balsamic reduction on one night and some amazing Beef Birria tacos on another night. Probably the best taco's I've ever had... I had to stop myself at 6 of them cause I was about to go the way of Mr. Creosote.

Oh...and I defintely do the "make a pizza and foil wrap it for cold pizza lunch on the river" thing a lot too.

·
My name isn't Will
643 Posts
I have one. Should try it. Hell, I might give it a go in my driveway! I bet it would work well for re-heating my Steamboat stop pizza too!

👆👆👆👆👆👆Sophistication level = higher than the average MtnBuzzard. And threw some alliteration in there too??? WHAT?

How much is the average Subway sandwich? $8? 8 days X $8 = how much lunch meat, sliced cheese, and bread can I buy for that? Also Subway is barely food.

I have no idea what they get for a footlong these days or what they were charging back in 2019. I do remember they gave him a discount. To him it was worth it not to have to do his own planning and shopping for his lunches. We were a group dinner and "breakfast & lunch on your own" trip.

I don't disagree with your assessment of the quality of the sandwiches they make. They used to be acceptable for road trips; there's usually something edible for everyone. These days there's more taco trucks. I'll take a taco truck almost any day. We used to stop at a Subway in SLO on the way back from dive trips in the Channel Islands. One year I suggested we try "that hole-in-the wall Mexican joint over there." We always stop there now. I do know they can't call the stuff Subway uses to hold their sandwiches "bread" in France because it has too much sugar. It is categorized as a pastry.

But hey - if it's "do your own lunch," then you get to choose. If we're on the Rogue, though, I encourage you to think twice about things like sardines or smoked oysters even if you're going to keep the empty cans on YOUR boat.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Personally I hate cold pizza. But would it be over board? Maybe...Someone steaming towels soaked in essential oils for the entire group this summer seemed pretty over board, but we all enjoyed it! I am leaning more towards the Ooni 16 as it would make large enough pizzas to feed a group. Keep in mind they cook in just a few minutes. In 10 minutes you could have 3 pizzas out! I just cannot wait to add Pizza as one of our meals on a Google Docs sign up sheet :LOL:

·
Registered
973 Posts
I've only homemade pizza a couple times, on a stone in my Weber charcoal.
But in regards to doing it under a Pop Up.... Don't you want the heat UNDER the pizza? Seems like someone could fab up a SS origami dome to go OVER the pop up pit, and give a better result.
'Course there would have to be care taken to not melt the Pit....

Just thinking out loud, here.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Personally I hate cold pizza. But would it be over board? Maybe...Someone steaming towels soaked in essential oils for the entire group this summer seemed pretty over board, but we all enjoyed it! I am leaning more towards the Ooni 16 as it would make large enough pizzas to feed a group. Keep in mind they cook in just a few minutes. In 10 minutes you could have 3 pizzas out! I just cannot wait to add Pizza as one of our meals on a Google Docs sign up sheet :LOL:
All good choices. I used Vito Iacopelli's YouTube as well as other YouTube video reviews of home portable pizza ovens. Just like any oven, and in conditions of wind or cold weather, any tool requires practice.

My choice for the Roccbox over the Ooni was concern for a chimney in the wind if using wood, and the asymmetric heat although this is true of all of the ovens, and the turning peel takes great significance there. I also liked how some food trucks use this as their solution sensing this may give a hint to its durability.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I’ve made great pizza in my dutch oven. Probably to simple for tech weenies though;)
Nope. I have heard of folks using it two ways, upside down with the lid as a pizza "steel" and the top as the oven, and as a Chicago style. I do have only one 14" GSI aluminum DO, as well as a 12" I carry, and still suspect that I would have to have several repeat uses of at least one if not both to feed 16 hungry Grand Canyon/Colorado River folks. I do find that I make more cakes, cobblers, and baklava for dessert, and that my 14" makes sure I gluttonize my crew to the point of supreme content. I would be very interested in your technique and especially your dough, as well as technique and amount it feeds

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've only homemade pizza a couple times, on a stone in my Weber charcoal.
But in regards to doing it under a Pop Up.... Don't you want the heat UNDER the pizza? Seems like someone could fab up a SS origami dome to go OVER the pop up pit, and give a better result.
'Course there would have to be care taken to not melt the Pit....

Just thinking out loud, here.
I would if using this solution use a pizza steel on top of the grill, although I worry about bending this under high heat as I have done in my home oven using a heavier pizza stone than the normal 1/2" (these don't seem to last a year for me). I did beta test this technique on a large gas grill and my results were spotty, but then again I didn't practice further (8000' elevation, wind and fall chill).

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You need a separate boat outfitted as a chuck wagon! I’ll row it and load and unload it for ya but can’t make two recipes and both are hit or miss. But seriously just outfitter a cheaper used boat as a chuck wagon and have a buddy row it and bobs your uncle. Can bring two of them pizza ovens !!

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
You're baking it, not frying it...but not broiling it, either. You want the majority of the heat to surround the pizza and you do want enough heat to crisp the crust on the bottom so it's not soggy... so you'd still probably do 8 briquettes under and 12-14 over in a dutchie.

or if you're really trying to cycle a bunch past your pop-up for a group... broil it under the pop-up and finish it on a stone/steel? (or vice versa?)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
or if you're really trying to cycle a bunch past your pop-up for a group... broil it under the pop-up and finish it on a stone/steel? (or vice versa?)
I just had a genius idea.....two pop-up pits bunkbed style with the pizza in the middle.

I've always wanted to make a propane dutch oven setup where you have a burner for the top and bottom for those trips with a fire ban or if you don't want to deal with the charcoal mess (I burned a couple holes in a bucket last trip after being impatient with the charcoal from a breakfast DO meal).

I also just thought of finding a pizza stone that fits perfectly inside your DO.

Lastly.... use something like the Partner Lasagna Pan or Rome Cooker to make a Detroit style rectangle pizza. I actually really wanna make something that can make a load of biscuits or cinnamon rolls or other things you'd normally do in a large rectangular baking pan at home. The lasagna pan is almost it...but want it even a bit bigger and more DO focused.

Bring a wood oven sounds great and is great.... but they take up a bunch of space and are kind of a unitasker.... which I try not to do on river trips.

Oh...and this is the one that someone brought on the trip we did wood fired pizzas....

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Kitchen appliance Tree

It worked pretty well....but it took up the entire front of the guys raft. Worth it for a short trip (it was a August or September Lodore I think)...but worth it. They made a load of No-Knead pizza dough the night before. It was kind of surprise but I wish that it hadn't been because everyone could have brought their favorite toppings and we could have had more variety. It was still pretty awesome though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
No worries about space! We have a 16 footer for just camp kitchen stuff . Can bring that green egg shiter no problem! Can bring pony k gs too! How bout a row of them on a side and can have a swim up bar??
My dream is the ultimate kitchen boat. My penance for going in 2020 before the pandemic was to go to Europe this year, and I have atoned to be able to save up for a boat of my own. I liked on my last TL journey in the Grand Canyon having a flotilla of boats (8 boats 3 kayaks) for ice purposes alone, and prefer shoulder seasons for the temperatures as it allows me to use the ambient night temperatures to cook most of my next day's lunch and sometimes breakfast things at night, making morning cleanup easier.

I have talked about my dream on other threads and have had advice from multiple in the Buzz, and am thankful for this. I look at the overlander type designs and wonder how I can be more organized, less brought to the beach, and much more streamlined in my approach. Also think it should in the end be motorized. I like your concept of a bar, I really need more ice to be able to plan cocktails better.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just had a genius idea.....two pop-up pits bunkbed style with the pizza in the middle.

I've always wanted to make a propane dutch oven setup where you have a burner for the top and bottom for those trips with a fire ban or if you don't want to deal with the charcoal mess (I burned a couple holes in a bucket last trip after being impatient with the charcoal from a breakfast DO meal).

I also just thought of finding a pizza stone that fits perfectly inside your DO.

Lastly.... use something like the Partner Lasagna Pan or Rome Cooker to make a Detroit style rectangle pizza. I actually really wanna make something that can make a load of biscuits or cinnamon rolls or other things you'd normally do in a large rectangular baking pan at home. The lasagna pan is almost it...but want it even a bit bigger and more DO focused.

Bring a wood oven sounds great and is great.... but they take up a bunch of space and are kind of a unitasker.... which I try not to do on river trips.

Oh...and this is the one that someone brought on the trip we did wood fired pizzas....

View attachment 83214

It worked pretty well....but it took up the entire front of the guys raft. Worth it for a short trip (it was a August or September Lodore I think)...but worth it. They made a load of No-Knead pizza dough the night before. It was kind of surprise but I wish that it hadn't been because everyone could have brought their favorite toppings and we could have had more variety. It was still pretty awesome though.
Thought of this solution and other variations of it. My dough is a 68% hydration, and 100% flour leads to 166 g per 10" pie, and from my math 5 kg of bread flour would be reasonable to get a bit less than two pies each for 16 people. A plastic dough proofing box with a lid in a dry bag (or two of these) for the 30 doughs. I would likely make the doughs over a two day period of time unless in summer where I made naan within two hours (better flavor with cooler temps). 2% salt is just right. All would be pre weighed and the water would be weighed in the end as well (a bit less than 3.5 L). I would premix the salt in the flour, and vacuum seal this mixed with the dry yeast as well. Autolysis would be allowing the water to soak into what would be a slurry, then one can actually in a plastic bin like the proofing boxes flip and fold instead of kneed with rests.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts