Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all of my dry gear, yes all of it (drytop, drypants, and drysuit) need to be replaced conveniently this season before my Grand trip in November. If you were in my shoes what piece would you replace first, drytop or drysuit?

My drytop is not in anyway shape or form dry, I am soaked from the moment I put on when wearing it. My drysuit is in slightly better shape, it takes an hour or so to wet through in the arms, but still leaks in the feet/legs when rafting/teaching in it.

To add to the equation I am going to be buying another set of dry gear for my girlfriend how is in need of it for the Grand in November.

Drysuit vs. Drytop duke it out Buzzards!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I second the drysuit for the grand. I took a three week trip down there last March and used it everyday we were on the river. You will be glad you did when you're in 40 degree water. Best piece of equipment I had on the grand was my GMER.

PS. Take your playboat and don't be skeeerd to hit the meat!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would your opinions change if I omit the Grand from the equation?

And I'm rowing an 18ft cat with my girlfriend, so no kayaking for me. I might SUP parts of the Grand though

·
no tengo
1,876 Posts
get the drysuit with the kayak skirt (kokatat GMER) and pee zipper you can use it for kayaking as well.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Would your opinions change if I omit the Grand from the equation?

And I'm rowing an 18ft cat with my girlfriend, so no kayaking for me. I might SUP parts of the Grand though
If you mostly kayak and have skills on the cat; then, I'd just repair your old suit and buy a new drytop for yourself and an entry level drysuit for the gf. If the gf anit happy anit nobody happy! (better ask, can the gf handle the neck gasket?) There is a very real chance that you wont swim in the grand. Now if you plan on spending most of your future river miles are on a cat boat; then, new dry suits all around. I just don't like to stuff a dry suit into a kayak. My preference is to go drytop and a soild spray skirt. I know how to stay dry in my boat and I like the way my hydro skin pants hookup with the outfitting in my boat. Enjoy the grand. a Nov will be a treat!:p

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a kayaker at heart that moonlights as a raft guide.

Dirtbag, you are the first one I think that actually understood the logic of this thread and I thank you. Being a boater from the Northeast, I was from the mindset of have a drysuit first then a dry top if you can afford it, because once it warms up up there so does the water and you can wear a t shirt. I've found that to not be the case for parts of CO this past season.

As for the GF, she is getting a pant/top combo (her request) so that she can mix/match. Also doesn't like the "space suit" idea of the dry suit.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Thought you might be a kayaker. looks like your on the right track by keepin the gf happy. I have an old dry fashion dry suit that gets pull out once or twice a year for winter floats. It has more patches than my old outfitter used raft. But it gets the job done for as little as it gets used. Just can't justify $500+ for a suit. I always have a soild dry top for kayaking. I do a ton of winter boatin in ID, WA, OR, and MT. I have found that the under layers are just as important as the outer layer.

PS, DoubleYouEss?? Isn't that wavesport logo and your in a LL on your avatar. Lovin it! I have seen a post or two of yours and wondered if you were connected with ws.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
If I had a choice, I wouldn't take a brand new drysuit down the grand. I'd patch my old one as much as possible and then get a new one afterwards. Of course, that assumes the old one is patchable. I ended up getting my drysuit rebuilt last fall (all new except the zipper) and wish I could have waited to have it done until after the grand (in March). That wasn't an option, so I'll use my new one.

For the gf, neoprene neck gasket drytops are available. It should be more comfortable and durable than latex.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I disagree with most of the above posts. I went with a dry top/dry pant combo on my late November/early December Grand Trip, and I thought that it allowed a lot of flexibility. Many of the nicer days, I would just wear the top and had more comfortable neoprene bottoms.

If you tend to be on the cold side and have the money, then consider the dry suit.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I have only been down the GC twice. Both trips even tho I take good care of my gear, the sun, water, wind and sand just play the devil with gear as far as wear. cameras, zippers anything electronic needs a lot of extra care. ihowemt is right on target with the post on wear and tear.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I disagree with most of the above posts. I went with a dry top/dry pant combo on my late November/early December Grand Trip, and I thought that it allowed a lot of flexibility. Many of the nicer days, I would just wear the top and had more comfortable neoprene bottoms.

If you tend to be on the cold side and have the money, then consider the dry suit.

I tend to agree with seperate top and bottom. Even in November there will be warm days when rowing with a drysuit would be unbearable. I also tend to agree that neoprene neck and wrist gaskets are adequate for rafting. I'm on and off the boat way too often (lunch, scouts, hikes etc) to deal with a latex neck gasket drysuit.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I went for numerous swims in my Kokatat Gore-Tex dry jacket and Kokatat Tropos bibs last season and didn't get wet once. The only thing I would do differently is that I would spend the extra money on the Gore-Tex bibs vs. the Tropos. Reason being is that I ripped a hole in the thigh of the bibs on a swim when I hit a rock and I'm pretty sure the heavier Gore-Tex would have remained intact (the Gore-Tex also comes stock with a relief zipper). No joke, the roll-together feature works very well.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dirtbag, I was affiliated with WS back prior to the Confluence madness, 2005-ish. Since them I was with Eskimo/Prijon in the Northeast, now unaffiliated and loving it!

Going back to the original topic of this thread, what are your thoughts on Level Six's Reign drytop? I go through the shoulders and elbows on my gear faster than anything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts