Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase my 1st boat and I can't decide between the RMR 10.5ft Storm or the Hyside Mini-Max 10.5ft. Looking to you guys with experience for suggestions. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Hyside hands down. Your investment will last a lot longer with a hypalon boat then a plastic one, and retain more resale value should you decide to upsize.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Looking to purchase my 1st boat and I can't decide between the RMR 10.5ft Storm or the Hyside Mini-Max 10.5ft. Looking to you guys with experience for suggestions. Thanks
Watcha gonna do with it?
Hyside is way higher quality.
There are other boat options out there along the lines of small boats, if ya want us to confuse the matter for you with more choices ;)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Like one of those Cataraft/ raft hybrids from star, or a paddle cat of some sorts, or just a small cat, if you plan to only row it......

·
Registered
803 Posts
Like one of those Cataraft/ raft hybrids from star, or a paddle cat of some sorts, or just a small cat, if you plan to only row it......
I'm intrigued by those Star hybrid design boats. In part because they're quite light for their size, likely because there's no inflatable floor.

A slightly smaller version of the smallest model could be a neat low water competetor to the storm/mini-max market.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
From what I've seen of them on the water, they work better on lower class stuff, due to the huge tubes and high floor they sure do ride up on stuff and get beat around a lot in the whitewater.

I watched one get totally worked in Wire Fence on Deso. Came in, hit, stopped dead, surfed for a while and eventually spit out. While Star's quality has risen in the past decade, it's still an entry level boat IMHO.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hmmm... Interesting.

I haven't rowed a cat but I thought the point of them riding high was to punch holes and not get dragged back into a recirculation.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Riding high isn't always a benefit, especially when they ride up on things, too much flotation for the weight isn't a "punching" boat, instead it rides up on the water. Now this may allow them to ride over the hole as there's not as much suction as there would be on a raft floor, but from what I've seen they have more in common with a surfboard than a raft. That being said, I've only SEEN them run, never paddled / rowed one.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Man, wish I could go demo one and go trash it in a play park to see how they handle.
I like the simple floor design it has, kinda-like my Culebra, I could see those tubes being to much floatation though...

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Man, wish I could go demo one and go trash it in a play park to see how they handle.
I like the simple floor design it has, kinda-like my Culebra, I could see those tubes being to much floatation though...

Now I HAVE paddled a Culibra, had one as a demo when I was a dealer, what a fun kick in the ass boat on the Arkansas. Get some momentum and they would go anywhere! Browns at high water (2800) was a complete and total blast!

·
Mark
20 Posts
Get the minimax

Iv'e had, and currently have both. RMR are fine, but if you really use it a lot get the Hyside. Much higher quality. An added bonus is that the Hyside weighs less than 70 lbs, so you can ship it through the Postal Service, especially to/from villages in Alaska, which makes it much easier to run rivers up there, at least ones you can do in small boats. The PVC boats with bladders will be heavier. At least check the weights to make sure.

·
Mark
20 Posts
Get the minimax

Iv'e had, and currently have both. RMR are fine, but if you really use it a lot get the Hyside. Much higher quality. An added bonus is that the Hyside weighs less than 70 lbs, so you can ship it through the Postal Service, especially to/from villages in Alaska, which makes it much easier to run rivers up there, at least ones you can do in small boats. The PVC boats with bladders will be heavier. At least check the weights to make sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts