Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just getting into the sport and dont have enough for a new boat so iv been looking on craigslist and I found a couple that fit in my price range. The first is a dagger gradient with a paddle helmet skirt and pfd for 300. The next is a pyranha micro 240 with a skirt that has an implosion bar. The third is a dagger rpm with a helmet for 400. The fourth is a dagger redline with a skirt and paddle for 400. The fifth is a 2010 pyranha burn for 500. Iv been researching all the boats but I want to be sure that I get the right boat. Im 6' and around 200. I will probly be doing more river running and surfing and maybe some creeking and playboating later on. I know there are better boats out there but these are just what are local.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I vote Burn.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Gradient! Only reason is that it comes with gear, and its a classic.

But in all seriousness the Burn is the best boat in that line up for you to learn in and then progress with.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Burn. But only if it's a size large due to your size. It comes in three sizes (s/m/L) RPM and Redline might not fit you. Gradient is an older design boat but some people still enjoy it.

You are going to go through a few boats until you find the one that you really like. Doesn't hurt to buy the one with the highest chance of resale (Burn).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Burn. But only if it's a size large due to your size. It comes in three sizes (s/m/L) RPM and Redline might not fit you. Gradient is an older design boat but some people still enjoy it.

You are going to go through a few boats until you find the one that you really like. Doesn't hurt to buy the one with the highest chance of resale (Burn).
X2... only the large. I know on the newer ones they have a M or L stamped by the drainplug.

But in all honesty, If you are willing to spend $500 for the boat only I would wait and find a used Jackson 4fun so you can have a little play while learning (or second generation Superstar). I started in a Diesel and got bored very quickly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The burn was at the top of my list because its a large and its the newest but im worried I want have enough for a paddle, helmet, skirt and pfd. I know the gradient has a crazy amount of volume and I read that its on the slow side and not as agile as other boats but its right behind the burn on my list because it comes with all the gear for almost half of the price of the burn.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Here is something to think about... If that old gradient comes with gear is it as old as the boat and will it fit you? Paddle size, helmet size, skirt tunnel size... Ensure you are happy with the extras before using the fact that it has extras to give the nod to that boat.

Most extras are junk the previous owner threw in to sweeten the deal for a Noob. Lots of people get burned that way. I still suggest the Burn, as it works as a river runner and creekboat and you can front surf it too. It's also easy to roll.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to the seller of the micro and he is willing to sell the boat without the skirt for 100. I also talked to the seller of the burn and he has come down to 400 and told me that the bottom of the boat has been repaired.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dont pay that much for a repaired boat.

Just a thought. You are in Atlanta which is pretty close to alot of paddlers. Have you looked at gearswap on boatertalk? I would think you could get a pretty current design in reasonable shape for $350-$400.

BoaterTalk: GearSwap

I talked to the seller of the micro and he is willing to sell the boat without the skirt for 100. I also talked to the seller of the burn and he has come down to 400 and told me that the bottom of the boat has been repaired.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As others have mentioned, you can also check boatertalk and npmb for gear in your area. Also paddling clubs in your area probably have message boards, and people might be selling equipment there, too.

Regardless of what you go with, make sure you do a test paddle to make sure it fits you and you like it. Small piece of advice: don't skimp on the PFD. It makes a huge difference to have a nice, fitted PFD (it doesn't have to be expensive, mine was under $100 new) compared to the $20 special at your local outfitter.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You can even look for a Jackson Super Hero. Good stable boat for a beginner that is easy to roll, can surf, carve in an out of eddys. Good all around boat that you could have for quite some time. Should be able to pick a used one up fairly reasonable. I started in a hero and it was a good first boat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
716 Posts
A SuperStar could hasten your learning curve and be a blast or it could have the opposite affect, depending on your learning style (slow, medium, agressive, etc). Try the boats you're interested in out at a local pool. Ten minutes in a boat at a pool can give you good insight to what fits, what you like and don't like, etc.
One of the best things about the newer boats (vs. a Gradient, Redline, etc) is the ergonomics and outfitting have really improved making for a better and more comfortable time in the boat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts