Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have good evidence to support going with a SPORTRAIL vs. an ALUMA raft trailer.

Looking at the 7x12 SPORTRAIL vs. the 7x14 ALUMA.

Open to other options.

Running an NRS 14'er with fill 4-bay frame.

Thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
Aluminum is for beer cans not trailers, buy steel.

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself

·
Registered
506 Posts
I was hoping for a few responses to this question. I am considering a new trailer also. I've been researching the Aluma trailers, they look pretty sweet. I am almost for sure going aluminum. If it's a raft trailer as mine will be it makes a lot of sense to me.

Jim

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought mine from Northern Trailer Sales in Santa Cruz, NM (right near Espanola).

I custom ordered it, paid a deposit, and paid it off when I picked it u, all on a card.
The owner is awesome and will send you a sheet where you just choose options and it gets built.

I had them add a square tube bumper and LED lights to the back, and weld in a hitch receiver.

Now I can slap a bike rack or a hitch vice on the end of my trailer if ever needed.

I should note that this is a regular utility trailer that I am building a raft deck up on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm going to second steel. Gravel and dirt roads are tough on aluminum trailers. I see a lot of aluminum cattle trailers that are riddled with cracked welds from back road use. They are pretty stinky to repair. If you do go aluminum, make sure it's overbuilt.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just went to Billings and bought one of those trailers that Sweencat refers to. It is real nice and a great deal. It's also nice paying the guy who built it. Super nice guy. Thanks for the info guys.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up going with the SPORTRAIL and using a dealer in Lake George, CO. didn't have free time for Billings...

The SPORTRAIL is local ( Longmont) and the lake George dealer says her company has had a 15 year long relationship with the builder and gave them a top notch endorsement.

Hopefully, I won't need any welds any time soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts