Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone on here has put together the best places to live based upon the river options nearby?

I am thinking some where that offers multiple sections of river (or rivers) to run within an hour of town.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Take Boise off your list. Low wages and we are all a bunch of skinhead neocons. Really a bad bad place to live. No good beers and your skin dries out. Just sayin...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Better take Colorado off the list too. Nothin bunch of yuppie posers with fancy boats, just wait til you see all the lost gear posts when the runoff hits. No good deals on places to live without bars on the windows. Denver sucks so hard you can't believe it, dont even think about Boulder. And you unless you want to catch hepatitis in the South Platte, you'll be spending 5 hours going 75 miles each way to the closest whitewater. place is expected to double in poopulation in the next 10 years so unless you like LA without the cool restaurants and a beach nearby, steer clear. And if you want to live where the water is and also have a job, you better get used to paying 75% of what you earn on a flea bag condo with 5 other guys, 3 dogs, and 2.5 girlfriends living there.

West by god virginia is the place you ought to be. I-80 will be your best bet getting there. easy cruise all the way.

:D

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Really hard to Bend OR. Its my far the best place for kayakers. Good beer, Weed, women, whitewater..... the list goes on. second would Portland OR and then hood river gorge. 3rd would be any where else in OR. No sales tax and they pump your gas.. Its freaking haven.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I like my neck of the woods. 30 mins to state bridge, 45 too The Eagle. 35 mins to yampa.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yeah sure send em all to my state. Hell you can drive 1 hour and be at all the good runs. Plus we have water all year, you can always find a pull off to park in for weeks at a time. Weed is not legal but it aint exactly illegal. Most of the good jobs have left the state so it aint near as crowded as it was.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They are joking you...

Boise is the gateway to whitewater heaven... Get a map out and look an hour up and North.... The Banks area further Northeast the Salmon begins... Slightly west is Hells Canyon all the great rafts are built here NRS, AIRE Cascade Raft and Kayak Maravia Cascade River Gear.... Don't forget to bring your WALLET

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'll be honest and tell you that my experience living in Boise hasn't been that great. First off, I've had two jobs here that haven't worked out for the best. I always get the feeling at work that I am the last priority. I've never got the training that those "nice" LDS folks receive (they won't tell you, but you'll know it), and I was singled out as some bad liberal, openly. It's not that I talked politics at work, but I just didn't have the same attitude they did about things. It's really not too fun when your job depends on how conservative you can sound at work. With respect to the river; I have a few good friends here that I would trust with my life. That being said, it's a very clicky environment. If you show up to the put-in, people won't tell you they won't boat with you. However, try posting on the local email list and see how many responses you receive. Anyone who moves here seems to get a year's grace period. If you don't fit their set of values, you'll likely just be ignored. The silence is deafening. I can tell you that this was not the case for me when I lived in Colorado. Everyone is friendly and it's not clicky. Boise is a different story in my humble opinion. The politics is an utter disgrace to America! There's a reason why the "preppers" live in Idaho because you really can get in the mindset that the world will end when you're leaders are so lousy. I'm kinda there myself. Although the rivers are amazing and I have some good friends here and a girlfriend; I'm looking at jobs out of state. The cost of living is average in Boise, but the wages are currently 48th in the nation. They were 50th a few years ago. It's a shame that the state has been run into the ground. It's a beautiful state and there are good people here, but the feeling of being isolated and trying to find sustainable, gainful employment is becoming toxic to my soul. If you do find a job, a thousand other people would like to have your job. You're very expendable; especially if you're not LDS.

·
Registered
455 Posts
One in 2 college graduates in Idaho leaves the state within 2 years of graduating to find better opportunities because the pay is so bad and the opportunities here are so few.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm over 60... The Mormons are weak people and are scared to death of confrontation unless they're in a group.. I work for myself and my income is national. Boat people meet you half way... Youre the other half way easy to build a social life within the boating community and in this small city life... Eagle, Meridian and Nampa.... A whole other world

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'd say Hood River and Bend are the pinnacle. Boise is pretty good but I'm not sure it's the same caliber of HR.

Outlaw... maybe perchance your attitude and personality scare people away from boating with you? You seem like kind of a drain / buzzkill. Not how I want to spend my time on the river.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd say Hood River and Bend are the pinnacle. Boise is pretty good but I'm not sure it's the same caliber of HR.

Outlaw... maybe perchance your attitude and personality scare people away from boating with you? You seem like kind of a drain / buzzkill. Not how I want to spend my time on the river.
I guess I would agree with outlaw words like pinnnacle and caliber in terrms of northwestern river systems on the surface seem sophomoric

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not a lot of love for CO on here, but how could you not say Fort Collins?? College town with great people, great beer, beautiful women, and a short drive to the Poudre which has anything from Cl I-V.

Also, Salida is a great location for boating and skiing. Heavy commercial presence means lots of tourists and a crowded river, but a great place.

In general, its hard not to go with somewhere in CO with 300+ days of sun.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Not a lot of love for CO on here, but how could you not say Fort Collins?? College town with great people, great beer, beautiful women, and a short drive to the Poudre which has anything from Cl I-V.

Also, Salida is a great location for boating and skiing. Heavy commercial presence means lots of tourists and a crowded river, but a great place.

In general, its hard not to go with somewhere in CO with 300+ days of sun.
That's because it's hard to recommend an area/river that only runs for a couple months a year.... the Ark Valley has more consistent water, but still not really comparable to the PNW for year round boating, plus it's getting so crowded around here that the majority of people can't afford rent anymore.

Honestly, other than a lack of yuppies I don't think Idaho is much of a better choice than CO... all the rivers are ice locked during the dead of winter, and the best runs require permits.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts