Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best freind is getting married and we are trying to plan a bachlor party for him. There is about 12 guys who will be going. We live in Fort wayne IN (Northern). We would like to go whitewater rafting, camping and bike riding. We would like to be pretty secluded form others and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are trying to keep the cost down. Maybe whithin driving dist. say 8 or 9 hours form Indiana. Thank you though. I personally would love to go to Aspen CO. I would like to just live there actually.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The LOWER NEW RIVER, make sure all in your group are ready to sack up. This isn't a kiddie run.

Also, I think you can only run in the Fall when they start dumping the Res. Just type in Gauley and New River and you will find a bunch of outfitters that can hook you up with Rafting/Biking/Climbing etc.

I don't know the Least Coast very well, but W Virginia is the best I can do for close to Indiana. Someone else might have a better option.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is that the New River Gorge in West Virginia?
yup, the lower section has all the Class IV-V stuff as I recall. I never lived in the area, just did some rafting back when I was stationed at Ft Bragg.

Being as it is a Bach. Party, that is what I suggest. Their are other runs in the area, with less gnar, The Gauley and Upper New has trips in the Class II-III range if that is more the groups speed.

Hey and these guys even have a half day with Paintball thrown in http://www.aceraft.com/premier-rapid-run-whitewater-rafting.html

If that doesn't say Bachelor Party I don't know what does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
secluded

I like the idea of rafting in west virginia. Our goal is this. We would like to whitewater raft without a guild, camp in a secluded area away from others, bring our bikes and be away from others. That is our goal. Everything I am seeing online is guilded and close to evryone else. Any sugg?

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Go with a guide. Raft some rowdy shit. Chances are the guide will be rowdier than your bachleors party. He will also know where to get rowdy off the river, and would love to join your party.

Or I guess you could go the kum-bye-yah route and have a secluded experience to celebrate your friend being with the same girl for the rest of his life. However you want to do it.

·
Renaissance *******
1,395 Posts
I second WV...
Camp at ACE, they would let yall have strippers
The Sugar Shack is right up in Beckley ... could probably hire some single moms there but they may not have all their teeth

·
Registered
339 Posts
Problem solved: I would suggest the Class III Lower Yok in Ohiopyle PA. Guarenteed dam release water all the time. You can rent your own rafts without a guide. Get a large group campsite at Scarlet Knob campground. This place is private so you can probably raise some hell without the cops getting involved. There might even be some local strippers in the area. Just stay away from the State Park campground....the rangers are strongly anti-alcohol (I think I am under a lifetime ban there).

I like the idea of rafting in west virginia. Our goal is this. We would like to whitewater raft without a guild, camp in a secluded area away from others, bring our bikes and be away from others. That is our goal. Everything I am seeing online is guilded and close to evryone else. Any sugg?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ohio Pyle, PA

Ohio Pyle is a great place to go. That's Ohio Pyle, Pennsylvania. Right on the boarder of Ohio and PA (just outside youngstown, oh). Small town with plenty of hiking in the mountains, and some biking. Solid class two and three, throw everyone in some duckies and your in for a fun day. A raft would be fun as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hurley, WI / IronWood Michigan

Rafting (not sure about the quality) Tube it with a floating bar
Can't get much more secluded then Nothern Wisconsin
Good Mountain Biking
Awesome camping at a place called Wren Falls
Hurley has strippers (probably not good ones but strippers none the less)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not to bag on these other suggestions, but I rafted (commercially) the New River about +10 years ago, and while since then I have kayaked and rafted on my own all round the Pacific Northwest, that experience is one that still stands out in my mind. This is only my opinion but class III rapids in a 15 ft raft is pretty boring. Duckies would be more fun.

But these other places might be the shit, check out the websites and also try to judge your group, are they adventurous or more mellow? You want to have fun, but if anyone has ever scene a panic attack on a whitewater river, it sort of kills your buzz.

If you do settle on a mellower river and have the skills, just rent a raft and PFD's from a local outfitter, that way you can enjoy some cold ones on the float.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.