Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at some pictures from www.rapidimagephoto.com and they refer to a rapid called Mountainlion on Clear Creek,what run is it on? where is it?I used to run CC with the guys that started CC Rafting like 8 - 10 years ago they had names for most rapids,most private boaters don't seem to go by names except:Extra Pussy,Lawson Hole,Outer Limits,Beaver Drops,Double Knife,Terminator hole,Blackrock,the narrows,Rigor Mortis,Elbow falls,AND SCREAMING 1/4 mile,that may sound like alot ,but is only a fraction of the good drops.I know there is Nomad and Upr. and Lwr. Pheonix but can't keep straight which is which.
Ran Lawson /Dumont yesterday had a real shitty day got spanked on Outerlimits, I've done that run like 10-12 times always higher water and can't remember ever swimming anything except once at 600-700 on Nomad ,I think,like 1998.Thought i was solid class 4,getting my ass kicked on 4- at low water,guess I''ve gone to shit!Ducky carnage pics on www.rapidimagephoto .com,private boaters/Outerlimits pm 7/10

·
Registered
154 Posts
Named for the mountain lion that killed Scott Lancaster, an Idaho Springs high schooler in ~1991. The covered bridge over that rapid is named for him. The most notable thing about that drop is the photo betties that Jessica has working for her right there taking pics.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Class III. Doesn't matter, doesn't deserve a name. Us private boaters call it all boogie.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I checked out the photos of your swim and I figured out what you did wrong.....you paddled a DUCKIE!!!!!! You can't roll a duckie, or can you.....once you flip, your screwed. So why paddle a duckie? Please explain.:confused:

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I knew someone who could roll a duckie but they said it's so hard and often takes long enough that it's not worth trying in any rapids that are consequential.

COUNT

·
Registered
539 Posts
mountain lion isn't more than class II. Now dizzy lizzie, that gets stout at high water and deserves a II+, and the rest of the run is a lake.
dan

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that explains it ,it is on the I-spgs run so the rafters on the beginner run can get some picture

I ducky because thata what I started boating in initially for more adventurous overnight rafter type runs then I got pretty advanced for a duckier and realized i wasn/t really into the bring the whole damn family and kitchen sink rafter mentality ,so I made some kayaker friends and paddled with them.I kayak too can handle myself okay on intermediate stuff but don't roll well.The Force

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that explains it ,it is on the I-spgs run so the rafters on the beginner run can get some picture

I ducky because thata what I started boating in initially for more adventurous overnight rafter type runs then I got pretty advanced for a duckier and realized i wasn/t really into the bring the whole damn family and kitchen sink rafter mentality ,so I made some kayaker friends and paddled with them.I kayak too can handle myself okay on intermediate stuff but don't roll well.The Force can be rolled under controled cicumstances but you're not going to get a combat roll,a good self rescue is your roll,I used to be the master of self rescue until I got out of shape,I'm getting it back but the rest of my paddling is not what it used to be,sucks.If you self rescue as fast as a kayaker can roll thats a flip but not a swim,if it takes to long or you loose gear need any assistance thats a swim.Also I'm too big to be comfortable in most kayaks and can't afford any new boats anyway.

One of the best aspects of duckying is the ease of travel I can get on any airplane or taxi/collectivo no worries,and always have aboat for nature floats,playin in the ocean,whitewater even 1st D'S.I may not be but the boat is capable of class 5.In some situations you are screwed if you flip especially if you're in the water being washed out by the faster mid depth laminar currents while the boat wants to surf without you,sometimes it throws down empty .If you're good you can self rescue in solid whitewater most of the time.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Nice pics!

And I'll vouch for your self-rescue skills. You can (or could) right your boat and get back in it faster than I can roll. Pretty impressive!

On a side note, my wife got an NRS Maverik this year. I took it on the Upper Blue and had a great time, but the thing takes forever to bail itself once it's completely swamped. Does your Aire have that problem? Maybe more flotation would help?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks mj ,the Maverick should bail as fast or faster,the bailing holes are bigger,I think,but the cockpit is bigger so alot more water gets in,but when the boat is bathtubbed you re actually more stable heavy with a low center of gravity,but you have to muscle it around which could be harder for a smaller person.The only thing I can think of is the inflation,Ive noticed most people don't top off duckies after the cold water shrinks the air in the tubes,the boat performs better and is more bouyant so it drains/surfaces faster fully inflated/hard.Did we boat together before?

·
Registered
882 Posts
If you want to see what duckies are best for, go find and old copy of Spreadin' the Disease and see what they can do at Hammer Factor.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey Caspian,

Where is Hammer Factor?Could you describe what you mean ,since that video is probably hard to find.thanx

Some other videos that show extreme duckying;"Creekin'USA" way old school vid of class 5 in Maine{the ducky part}, "Token of My Extreme" you gotta love a video named after a Frank Zappa lyric it shows Jeff Snyder and co. firing up 5+ micro creeks in WVA,'Full On" shows the Bliss Stick folks running big falls in this ducky /kayak hybrid that you wear a skirt and can roll ,thing is sweet but it costs $1800,there is a LVM with duckying.You wouldn't believe some of the photos in the book"The Complete Inflatable Kayaker "by Jeff Bennet dropping 30ft'rs on the White Salmon and such.

Hey Josh,yeah I remember you hows it going?I don't remember flipping much on F/W must have been trying o play something,I know i missed my roll once when I hardshelled it with you guys.I bumped into Waylon and want to boat with you guys ,but I/ve been working in Vail.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hammer Factor is the last major rapid on the Narrows of the Green near Ashville, NC. Wouldn't want to be there in a duckie.....I have seen Jeff Snyder "stride" Oceana and other class V's and that was amazing (in a duckie). Striding is standing up in a duckie, right? Otherwise, what did I see?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hmmm...hard to describe...you want to be left. Right line slams into a house-sized rock kinda blindly. They are feeding beta to the ducky guy and they tell him "Gotta go right, gotta go right. Yer a sissy if ya go left."

I found this, but it's a bad angle:
Afterwork run down the Green Narrows

1 - 17 of 17 Posts