Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What put in is used for the fraiser canyon?

do you park bt a railroad yard and hike across?

also there is a bridge upstream, but we were told it was private, and there ended up being a really low bridge to portage on private property.

What/where is the put in for fraiser canyon, and does anyone want to run it friday at 12 noon

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just hike across

We've just parked in the rail yard and hiked towards the river. You'll have to find a place to sneak through the fence. It is an awesome run

·
Registered
160 Posts
Put in at Strawberry Rd. There is a bridge there, and you would put in on the downstream side of this. I did this run about 4 years ago, and it was awesome. Take out by Powersports/bridge in Granby.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Oh and as for the put in - there are 3 places and they are all private land. I've done them all...

1. railroad trespass
2. 1st bridge crossing at CR 83 (don't know the land owners)
3. Private land at ranch creek (strawberry rd parking)

Re #3 - Her house overlooks this spot and she is probably watching you trespass. If you sign a liability waiver and are quick, clean, quiet, and respectful there won't be any problems. We really don't want to piss her off and lose this access.

Bob - I'd love to run it with you in a few weeks when it warms up a bit....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Grand vs. Colorado

My previous comment reignited deep feelings I have inside about water and land. The colorado canal (river) used to be called the Grand River, but that all changed a while ago. Now the former river is mostly just a pipe that transfers itself into irrigation into a foreign land (drainage) instead of flowing and being a river. So sad. So fucking infuriating. I don't know why people think colorado is cool (if they still do) when we just simply kill our ecosystems in the name of expansion.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your help, Jennifer I sent you a PM. I'd like to paddle with you. We are going to hold off a week and let this cold snap pass, then try to catch it closer to 800-1000.

And, my apology. It is spelled Fraser.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The put-in to the Fraser River is Berthoud Pass. Standard local hardware is a wirecutter. Cut every fence that's in your way! Fuck/Duck//Run every fence you see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just want to say, I like your style. I know violence IS the answer, I do. History shows us this, but my wife has convinced me to just plain calm down. I am enjoying my life, even though our future is being ruined. I don't shit as much blood any more.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey Jennifer, your info is not wrong but it would be best to keep the property owner's name off the interwebs. As you know, this access is tenuous and the situation is a little more complex than your post indicates. Could you please edit that?

Boaters interested in running the Fraser, send me a PM and I'll get you pointed in the right direction. If we, the boating community, collectively respect the desires of the property owner, the access will remain. If not, the access will either be shut down or granted only to those locals with a long relationship with an awesome family. Get it?

Foreverhard, too much heavy metals in the water in wrong-side-of-the-tracks Tabertrash? I'm guessing I know exactly where you live and can see it from my house. Maybe build a fence, take some pictures and settle down a bit. While the RR, DW and the treatment of the enviroment do suck, drinking on the couch ain't gonna change nothing.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Amazing how someone can have the view that all fences across a river should be taken down, AND, all trespassers should be shot in the head. Personal privacy and personal freedom ideology train wreck. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
134 Posts
If we, the boating community, collectively respect the desires of the property owner, the access will remain. If not, the access will either be shut down or granted only to those locals with a long relationship with an awesome family. Get it?
Good job team! Collectively you got the access shut down. Too much garbage, too much retarded parking, too much trespassing, too much not reading the sign and respecting the wishes of the land owner.

AS OF RIGHT NOW, ACCESS TO THE FRASER RIVER ON HURD CREEK OFF CR 84 AND THE STRAWBERRY ROAD IS SHUT DOWN.

THAT MEANS YOU! THE LANDOWNER IS LOOKING OUT HER WINDOW AND WILL CALL THE SHERIFF!

CERTAIN BOATERS WITH A LONG TERM POSITIVE RELATIONSHIP WITH THE LANDOWNER ARE STILL ALLOWED ACCESS. THESE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE THAT SECURED ACCESS IN THE FIRST PLACE. JUST BECAUSE THEY PUT IN HERE DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN.

IF THIS IS RESPECTED THERE IS A CHANGE ACCESS CAN BE REGAINED, IF NOT...IT MAY BE GONE FOREVER. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE RESPECT THE DESIRES OF THE LANDOWNER. YOU WILL NOT FLY UNDER THE RADAR. DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER.

THANKS, FRASER VALLEY BOATERS

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Um, Jamie. 95% of the people on this forum have never run the Fraser. So, collectively, a bunch of LOCAL river runners destroyed one LOCAL access point on a river that is always PUBLIC. Perhaps the Fraser Valley Boaters are willing to work to gain another access point, instead of working to privatize their own access point to the detriment of the boating society as a whole.

Sad that the landowner has nothing better to do than stare out the window and call the sheriff. Perhaps the landowner should attempt good old fashion, face to face conversation with the perpetrators of people that suck at parking or litter. A metal tube with a sign for launch fees would probably be pretty lucrative (relative to operating costs).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Amen Kyle! Although I'd like to add that the "land-owner" happens to be a genuinely sweet person who likely pays a lot of tax for her land, and is more "boater-tolerant" than the average CO land owner. Last week I saw rafters dropping off rafts at her land (parking in the road to do so) and hanging out while they ran shuttle (likely there for an hour or more). This would irritate me too if it was my land! I really, really, really regret not saying something to them now, but at the time I was more interested in being friendly than policing them. They probably just didn't know any better because not everyone knows Jamie D or is aware of the "situation."

I found out there IS a free, public access down the road. It involves a 1/2 mile steep hike to the river. I plan to check it out next week. We still need something better because I don't see the rafters doing this... :cry:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hmm, well, I was too busy boating and not reading MountainBuzz, so our crew ran the Fraser on Monday, and not knowing any better, we simply followed the directions in WWSR and put in on Crooked Cr (Hwy 40 bridge). We had to portage a few fences, and boat through a culvert pipe, but it wasn't onerous. There was a RR guy in one of those small carts that watched us run the culvert, but he only stopped briefly and my impression is that he was more interested than wanting to hassle us. We had to get out and pass our boats across the fence at the RR tracks, but we boated under the tracks so didn't trespass on the tracks. An very fast Amtrack train went by as we were passing boats across the fence by the RR trestle -- a very clear indication why the RR guys may be so uptight about trespassing.

So are the directions in WWSR obsolete??

Also, I'm a bit surprised at all the glowing reports of the run. It's pretty enough, but there were only a few rapids (at least at ~1,8000 cfs), the run has a (busy) RR along the river so it's not roadside, but it certainly didn't have a wilderness feel. If it were my backyard run I'd surely be on it regularly, but it's not on my "must return" list.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts