Mountain Buzz banner

Where do you run your water jug in your raft?

11K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Chip 
#1 ·
Just wondered what folks were finding for balanced and passenger safe locations in a 14ish raft w/out overly back loading it, or bruising the passenger in the front. I have a 5 gal jug that is looking for a safe home that still trims the boat out nice.....Thanx...

#8 ·
I've put them on the double rails of my frame on my 14er. out of the way, and occupies unused space. Several folks here feel it also stabilizes the boat by increasing the moment. (think arms on a spinning figure skater).

So you are the guy uncontrollably spinning through the rapids? I tend to think the easier to turn my boat and stop it from spinning, the more time I have available shuttling it forward/aft ...

#5 ·
I like to run my 20L Sceptre strapped in the boat to the bow. I have a Maravia Willy II and I run a cam strap through the bow D and then twice through the floor webbing so that the strap makes a triangular shape and secures the water jug down and up against the bow. The strap goes through the handle of the water jug and then the triangular shape spreads downward from there. It doesn't budge provided the cam is cinched down tight. Easy to take out for when someone might need water which is rare while on the river since beer fills that void. It is great bow weight for punching waves, holes, etc.

I like the idea of symmetry for weight so if I am running more than one water jug I will strap them to each side of the boat on the decking next to my captains bay but out of the way so I can get full oar strokes.

That's how I roll...

#6 ·
In the last couple years I have switched over totally from large water jugs to smaller 2 gallon jugs that stash better in my smaller boat (super duper puma). I now cary about 4 of these squarish 2 gallong jugs in my drop bag under my front seat, and they ride great that way.

I used to run a 5 gallon strapped up front I think similar to what Calendar16 desribes.

Attachments

#7 ·
In the last couple years I have switched over totally from large water jugs to smaller 2 gallon jugs that stash better in my smaller boat (super duper puma). I now cary about 4 of these squarish 2 gallong jugs in my drop bag under my front seat, and they ride great that way.
Nice Jugs --- where do the upper two get stashed?

#12 ·
If it is big water or im running lite I will strap the big jug directly on the top of the bow with the spout pointing in the boat and down. I run a long cam through the 2 front outside d-rings and 1 inside. This gives me more ability to punch waves and it also leaves the water in a place where anyone can fill up at any time. It takes a little messing around to get it in the right place and tight, but it works like a charm!

#17 ·
shappattack said:
Ok. Cool your unit, my wife is alaskan, and alaskan girls are un-fuck-withable, she would beat your ass.

;)
My wife's says she's not to be fucked with. Wait. Maybe I added the "with"

#18 ·
Depends on the ride. I use 3.5 gal. watercans, and most often rig them under the seat, on the theory that it's best to keep weight close to the center of the boat (so you're spinning the mass rather than swinging it). On solo trips when I'm stashing the camp gear behind the seat, or carrying a passenger, I rig the jugs front, to trim the boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.