Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just started kayaking WW last year, towards the end of the season with a 2 day class on the Colorado labor day weekend. I spent the winter slowly gathering equipment through craigslist and the swap on this site, and attending a couple of pool sessions so I wouldn't entirely forget my roll..I plan on hitting up a couple more before getting back on moving water.

My question is, when can I expect the beginner runs to be at good flows for a some decent practice? I'm aware that spring runoff can be unpredictable, but I'm anxious to get started ASAP.

Just looking for start dates for some class II/II+/III- for practice with eddy lines, ferrying, and rolling mostly. I'm thinking the Ark area (Milk run, Salida town run), or the Colorado (Grizzly Creek-Glenwood), or Clear Creek above the Golden PP?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey this is Dan i have been kayaking for 4 years the season for those rivers vary on the water level but clear creek usally starts in the begining of april i would say april 8th or so but the flow is running to a point were it is doable but it wouldnt be very good but if u want i can meet up with u an teach u more and go to clear creek with ya or meet u up there in the summer i go when i dont work or right after work so almost everyday if i have time heres my number 303-726-3820 plz dont hesitate to call or text whenever

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet, good to know I don't have to wait as long as I thought.

Is there a break in the season where I'll have to wait for the runoff flows to calm down?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Is there a break in the season where I'll have to wait for the runoff flows to calm down?
I dont think that will be much of an issue this year, if you are timid of high water. I bet it peaks for only a couple of weeks.

Some beginner runs are already running on the arkansas, if you have a roll than you should jump into something.

·
Registered
271 Posts
A small group is making a run from Grizz to town next Saturday on the Colorado near Glenwood Sp. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. Easy II+.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the invite Nessy. Gotta supervise an easter egg hunt on Saturday, but I'm sure I'll get out soon. Good to know there's a few out there willing to paddle with class II+ beginners.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Gunnisons been flowing for a while now.....a bit bony but perfectly good to go.

The Colorado in the Palisade/Grand Junction/Fruita area flows year round, lots of great beginner water there.

I know its far, just saying there is beginner stuff going in some places already

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The Salida Playpark was fun on Saturday, plenty of water and the BV playpark was fun too - the beginner wave by the downtown area was perfect and friendly for a first-time surfer :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts