Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I started this river season in high spirits. I added a new raft to my fleet. Got some new fun gear (new Partner stove). And had a great first trip (Deso 2 weeks ago), with many more planned (Main Salmon in June, etc.). Then life threw me a giant curveball. A nanosecond mis-step and wipeout, and here I sit with a broken leg :( Mega suck. Not even a cool story to tell, just a clutzy slip and fall. Oh well, I guess my Higher Power had other summer plans for me. So I will live vicariously through the exploits of my Mountain Buzz brothers and sisters. Keep those trip reports and pictures coming so I'm entertained and stay safe out there.
KJ - the busted cata-rafter girl

·
Registered
280 Posts
ouch!!!!!!

i don't know know you personally but i'm so sorry to hear that.:(

hope you heal fast and still get a chance to get another boat wet, soon.

bob

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
)-:

Sorry to hear. I'll break that raft in for ya. Its the least I could do... (-:
Thanks for the offer, but the new raft got it's maiden voyage on Deso :D
At least I got one trip in before my clutzy move. Fingers & toes are crossed for a swift and uneventful recovery. Perhaps a fall float is the cards for me.

·
Registered
787 Posts
That's a horrible way to start the season. Depending on how bad the break is you may luck out with an easy end of season trip still. When I broke my leg I was back on the raft after 4 months. I could do everything except carry it up from the river. I still had to take it easy of course and rely on the help of my crew, but at least I could get out there.

·
Registered
181 Posts
clutzy moves...

I feel your pain..

Right at the beginning of the 2011 season I injured my hand kayaking (class ii - to add insult to injury) and ended my 2011 season...7 months of occupational therapy before I could get back in the boat :(...

not as bad as a broken leg but the effect was the same...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry to hear that, good luck on your recovery!

A few years ago I took my girlfriend on a Smith trip when she had "the boot" from a broken leg. With a little extra help she had a great time, so maybe you can still get on some flat water :)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
cataraftgirl,

I understand your pain, but there is more fun days to look forward to.

Sept 14, 2012 Horn Creek, GC handed me broken tibia left leg, broken femur right leg required a titanium rod, three fractures in pelvis, 12 fractured ribs and two crushed vertabrae required a cage to fuse T7-T10. Excellent work by NPS rescue chopper, Dr John Hall - Flag Medical Center and Mt View Rehab Hosp in Prescott and rehab here in Okieland. Last week, I was able to do low water laps on Pilar then a three day good flow multiday on Rio Chama in my newly acquired ThrillSeeker IK. Bottom line is you do the rehab and then when you do get back on moving water you realize just how rewarding our sport is and how caring our boating buds are when we do get back boating. Now I am excited to the max to spend a week in June with friends on Smith River MT. ThrillSeeker may not be my Remix 79 but might be a better fly rod casting platform.

Bottom line is, do what the Doc's say and before you know it you will be back. My Doc's told me broken bones that heal the right way are stronger!

Keep your spirits up, heal those breaks and think of how much fun that boat is gonna be in a few months.

okie dave

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sept 14, 2012 Horn Creek, GC handed me broken tibia left leg, broken femur right leg required a titanium rod, three fractures in pelvis, 12 fractured ribs and two crushed vertabrae required a cage to fuse T7-T10.
Sorry to hijack, but can you tell the rest of that story?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cataraftgirl,

I understand your pain, but there is more fun days to look forward to.

Sept 14, 2012 Horn Creek, GC handed me broken tibia left leg, broken femur right leg required a titanium rod, three fractures in pelvis, 12 fractured ribs and two crushed vertabrae required a cage to fuse T7-T10. Excellent work by NPS rescue chopper, Dr John Hall - Flag Medical Center and Mt View Rehab Hosp in Prescott and rehab here in Okieland. Last week, I was able to do low water laps on Pilar then a three day good flow multiday on Rio Chama in my newly acquired ThrillSeeker IK. Bottom line is you do the rehab and then when you do get back on moving water you realize just how rewarding our sport is and how caring our boating buds are when we do get back boating. Now I am excited to the max to spend a week in June with friends on Smith River MT. ThrillSeeker may not be my Remix 79 but might be a better fly rod casting platform.

Bottom line is, do what the Doc's say and before you know it you will be back. My Doc's told me broken bones that heal the right way are stronger!

Keep your spirits up, heal those breaks and think of how much fun that boat is gonna be in a few months.

okie dave
Thanks for the story and good vibes. Too bad your GC trip got so messed up. I'm hoping to be healed in time for an end of season float. Even a Southfork Snake float & fish would be great. My break is a femur fracture about three or so inches above my knee. I had that knee replaced three years ago, and unfortunately this kind of break is an uncommon but possible result of the knee replacement.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
So sorry to hear. :( Like others have said, I may not know you personally but I never like to hear other boaters getting bad luck. Here's to a quick recovery and some fall low water floats to ease back in. Even though you can't be with us physically you will still be there with us spiritually!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sorry to hear your news. That sucks.

On a brighter note- all of a sudden my shoulder injury isn't seeming so bad- so thanks! Seriously though, you will be on the water in no time. One way or the other, you will get on the water soon. Everyone I know has been super helpful getting me back on the river even though I can't do as much as I could do before I hurt my damn shoulder. It feels weird asking for help doing simple things, but what goes around comes around. Let others help and then you can return the favor when you heal.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news. At least you got one trip under your belt this year. I hope your recovery is a speedy one. Best wishes catgirl!!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
cataraftgirl, oops that is where my right femur broke. Surprised something else did not break as my Doc said it takes a lot of force to break the femur. Dr Hall in Flag Medical center put a titanium rod in my femur break and that has worked well for me. I am not a Doc but based on my healing, it will take a while for that femur break to heal up.

Don't know if it will still work but we (folks on my GC trip) did a in detail write up of my accident and partial recovery on my Microsoft Skydrive. It is a pdf file with several videos and lots of pictures so it takes a while to down load. Might work with a Mac but best results so far have been on a fast connection and a desktop.

Any way, Cat Girl, stick with the Doctor's rehab and physical therapy helped me a ton, I am a big fan of physical therapy. My physical therapy coverage ran out and I am in "gentle" yoga and that is a big help as well. Hope to see you sometimes on a river, my big Aire 18 cat rowing days are over but I am enjoying the IK route and looking at a JPW Cutthroat rig for fun runs. I feel I can row that and with light loads still enjoy multidays.

http://sdrv.ms/VjpNSP

above is the URL for the SkyDrive down load

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ouch. So sorry to hear that story. Appreciate your contributions to MB and hope for many more to come.
Best wishes on the rehab trail.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts