Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that when it's hot enough outside that I have to run across the sand to keep from burning my feet, fido can't be enjoying traversing the beach. When would it be best to leave your canine buddy at home in an air-conditioned house?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know that when it's hot enough outside that I have to run across the sand to keep from burning my feet, fido can't be enjoying traversing the beach. When would it be best to leave your canine buddy at home in an air-conditioned house?
When he's hot and looking for a bucket of water? :)

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
859 Posts
It really depends on the dog. We have an older healer that does not tolerate the heat well but our younger ones are happy to cook as long as they are with their humans.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Depends on the river, and the camping options too. It’s one thing if you can be camped right down low by the river and there are some shady places for them to hang out, totally different issue if your dog has to go up and down a scorching hot trail of sand and rock or endure a hot afternoon without a spec of shade.

Our dog comes with wherever and whenever possible, but there are certain camps that are flat out No Go options in the full on heat of summer. With that in mind, summertime heatwaves tend to narrow our river trip options significantly. I’d personally rather do a different trip, where my dog will also enjoy it, than do a trip where I can’t bring him along due to park regulations or excessive heat exposure threat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree that it depends on the dog, the camps, and your setup. My black lab soaks up the heat. Without an umbrella or bimini, he would absolutely cook. I think Ben's yellow is better suited for the heat than a black. Someone already mentioned the camps. If you know you won't have shade, and can't camp close to the water, it's tough on a dog. I hate leaving him though, and he hates being left, so it almost never happens.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
We did a mid July main salmon with our three Golden's last month, and we took dog cots for each of them. It was warm, but not a super hot spell, but it was night and day more comfortable for them than any prior summer main salmon trip. I found the difficult thing with dogs is keeping them cool enough to sleep on the hot sand, even through sleeping pads. Cots are a hot weather game changer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts