Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Patrick and I are on USB yesterday, when he pins on a rock in the slack water. He exits his boat, and then climbs up his boat onto the rock. He doesn't even get his hair wet, nor does he have to swim from the rock to shore. Is this still tallied as a swim? Does he still have to drink from the booty? We were torn, so we thought we'd let you decide.
Evan J

·
Super Moderator
3,966 Posts
In addition to not even getting his hair wet, you didn't have to chase down any gear, no one risked endangering themselves trying to save him, and there was little or no lost time on the water. Its not a swim. He was just dealing with an obstacle in the most basic way.

-Andy

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was on the Gorge several years back (Mr. Clean days) & stuffed my boat under Wall Slammer. I jumped out, waited for my boat to surface for several minutes, and found my paddle down stream. My head was dry, but I swam. No question about it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
An unplanned departure from one's boat? Sounds like a swim to me no doubt.

Spencer - I'm glad to see that middle age is allowing you to more readily accept your shortcomings. Atta boy!

BTW - I've swam too many times to list here in this forum...might crash the server with too much data. :wink:

·
Registered
118 Posts
No Swim

I had a similar situation a couple years ago. My boat was horizontally pinned--stable pin, but could not get my boat off. I climbed out of the cockpit and stood on my boat. Took a little while to get unpinned. I had no other alternative but to exit my boat.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sounds like a short portage to me...

So he simply portaged from one side of the rock to the other.

Doesn't sound like a swim to me.. :shock:

·
Registered
331 Posts
In a swim, the river decides that you will get out of the boat NOW! You have (or believe you have) no choice but to get-out-now.

In the pin you describe, Patrick realized the boat was stopped. He could have eaten lunch there, just sitting in the boat. He exited the boat ON HIS TERMS, got out, stretched his legs, repositioned the boat, got back in, and continued downstream.

I vote NOT a swim.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sounds like a smart, calculated move to me.

I don't think anybody could be faulted for exiting a pinned boat. Would you have felt better if he swam a little? Swimming sucks and it sounds like he managed to avoid getting wet. Good Move!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
swimmin

Thanks for the help on the swim or no swim question. It is a question that has truely haunted me for years.
For the recourd I did have pleanty of time to think about my options while pinned. I could have fallen asleep there, eat lunch, read a book, ect. You get the point! It was so lame that I really did not want to add it to this years swim total!

Thanks again for your posts

Patrick

·
Registered
194 Posts
A "swim" means being forced from your boat.
I say that you were forced out of your boat and didn't plan on it. In that case you swam like a fish and don't deny it. Fish boy. :)

Really though, there is no shame in swimming, so this should not even be an issue. Besides, who cares if you need a certain amount of water on your head to constitue a swim or that being able to leap from boat to dry shore is not a swim. Whatever, you both came back safely after what was probalby another great day on the water and I'll drink to that anyday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts