Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do the rivers start flowing in the spring? My wife and I are moving to Denver and are doing a househunting trip in the end of May. What does the water situation usually look like towards the end of May? Thanks!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Should be running pretty much all over the place. End of May is close to peak.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Colorado is a big place. And since we are so far from the ocean, our weather varies quite a bit. Last year we had a warm spell in March and things started running then.

Lower elevation and southern runs start early.

·
Registered
32 Posts
moving to Denver

May and June are the months for boating in Colorado, especially if you like high water. Let's hope that the snow keeps falling and it doesn't get too warm, too quick. I'd be happy to take you on one of my favorite Front Range runs, Clear Creek.

On another note, I am a full-time Realtor serving the Denver area and would be happy to help out a fellow boater in the search for the perfect home. Drop me an personal message and let's chat!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've gone out in the middle of March already.. just be prepared for very cold water, ice along the shore, etc. Also watch out for ice bridges.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mid May is usually great for CO whitewater. Last year the first week of May we ran Vallecito, Grape Creek, Escalante, and Crested Butte is running as well. Stuff in NM is also running (Taos box etc.)
My husband and I are always looking for new couples to boat with and are down with the dirty south....we are from Georgia and North Carolina so give us a call when you get out 303-661-9375. We also just signed on a house that is a 5 minute walk to a pretty decent play hole in Lyons, CO. We would be glad to show you the town and get some boating in.
GO DAWGS.
Jen & Matt

·
Registered
96 Posts
Slaughterhouse on the Roaring Fork drainage ought to be right in it's prime around then. If this snow keeps up it'll be great. The rest of the Roaring fork is more mellow but will also be good, as well as Shoshone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts