Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My understanding is that the Big Thompson can release at any given time, right? What are the conditions where one would expect releases to increase out of olympus dam? Such as for Bailey, if it is hot on dry on the front range they start moving water through the roberts tunnel for ag. Is there a similar situation for the Big T?

Just curious... I would love to run it this fall, so want to keep an eye out for if and when to expect any flow.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I spoke with Kara this afternoon and there is no plans for work that would give us water this fall. :-( But you never know..........

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Water typically flows in the big T for only a couple of reasons...

1) inflows to lake estes are higher flow rate than the pipe taking water out can handle (ie >600 cfs) and the extra water flows in the river (rare... but happends in big years like this year).
2) Maintenance... when they shut down the hydro plant to do maintenance, all the water gets delivered through the river instead of the pipe. This has happened typically in the fall... october / november time. Not uncommon to get a late season big T release for a couple days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts