Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, weekend Cherry Creek laps have been hard on my boat this year.

I just welded 5 cracks in the bottom and filled the inside with Bituthene.

Do others weld boats as extensively?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
For me, It is hard to trust a welded boat on a long mank run like bailey here in colorado. I will do roadside runs on the narrows of the poudre and boof everything, or warm up early season with the welded rock boat. I guess it shouldnt matter though, where you are on the river or what run it is. I plan on bailing my boat a time or two after it is as cracked as yours.

I think you will feel the weight of the roofing material for sure, and as soon as the bottom of the boat gets a belly it will track much worse at times. Also be ready for more cracks, and that will start to break down the roofing material.

I would like to add, this is only my experience and my opinion.

I am very stoked to hear about your cherry creek trips, isn't that what this post was really about!!

:)

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
You retire the one with 5 cracks when you crack your new boat. Then it becomes a donor/planter, you have a new rock boat, and its time to shell out some money again...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Nice work Buck. That thing has seen some good times. Once Joe had a rocker that had like 7-10 cracks in it that he kept paddling with bitch.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If you're boating Class V you retire it right after you get off the run then sell it to some sucker and get another one.

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
"I think you will feel the weight of the roofing material for sure, and as soon as the bottom of the boat gets a belly it will track much worse at times. Also be ready for more cracks, and that will start to break down the roofing material."

The weight of the bitch is affecting performance? Am I missing your sarcasm?

Buck, do you sand those things smooth or leave them as shown? I'd be much more concerned with the bumps than the weight.

I do agree that an overly convex bottom will detract from performance.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I keep a mank boat around for as long as I can. Keep on welding the new cracks until I get a crack that is too large to weld or until the boat is significantly comprimised. I find that multiple small cracks are fairly easy to manage. Its the 15" pooched out gaping gash that becomes a problem when I typically call it done.

I end up having multiple mank boats pile up in the garage, and end up purging when I run out of space. It should be noted that there are gradations of mank boat. A boat with one 1" weld might be considered almost new from a mank boat perspective. Might save that one and take the boat with 5+ welds out to bear creek.

As a general rule... keep it going for as long as you can.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Remember that excess heat "may" have an impact of the plastics memory for future cracks. Remove the tar patches and I can fix it for you.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will keep yall updated as Cherry is about the only good thing going in CA this year. One bad boof could cause major failure but it could also go a few more laps.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Buck,

I would stay away from the bitche. It tends to do weird things when welding, resulting in large holes instead of cracks. It's good in a pinch, but when you start welding a crack with bitch on the other side, you will know what I am talking about.

Regarding how long to keep paddling that boat, I regularly keep welding until I can't stand the sight of the boat anymore, at that point it is worth maybe a 12 pack. Or better yet, you can send it to another part of the country with a buddy and have a stash boat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts