Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will there still be releases thru this weekend the 16/17th? Would like to get a granite thru fractions run in before it gets too boney.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Usually flows start to drop on the 15th, ramped down over a couple of days. The 16th will likely be much better than the 17th.

·
Registered
983 Posts
My understanding is not all of the voluntary flow program water was used, perhaps we may get lucky and get a little extension of our season?

Anybody from AHRA monitoring that could comment?

One more weekend? C'mon....PLEEEEEEEASE?

·
Super Moderator
4,023 Posts
And the decrease will take a day or so to get to the Parkdale/Gorge section so count that in your plans too.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
No one can tell you exactly what the flow is going to be on the 16th yet. We have been getting rain somewhere in the basin nearly every day, and there isn't very much project water currently being released. In many years they drop it to about 350 at Numbers and let the native flows peter out on their own. Normally AHR/CPW does a press release around this time of year clarifying what their actions will be.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe i'll try to sneak away from work on thurs just in case.

btw, how low is too low to have fun on the numbers?

i've done it around 600 cfs and that's still a blast.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
According to some, there is no such thing as "too low" on numbers. I think I've paddled it at 400 and had a fine time. Pine Creek would no doubt be fun down into the high 2's.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Devoted Ark ELFer (extremely low flow) here. Pine Creek always goes. IMO, paddling into Number one gets too shallow in the wide cobble section below 200. #4 (putin on rio left at #4) to Miner's campground is a great run at that level. Fractions goes well even lower.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Pretty much what Phil said...my personal cutoff for stealth is 225-250. I have hiked over the hill to #1 at 150-175 and still had a good time. Below 150 put in at 4. Below 100 just run the miracle mile. I have personally done it down to about 70. Another contributor to this thread (Phil) has done it down into the 50's....and still had fun!

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Sounds like the 100 cfs of project water is being cut at 9 am today which should leave the river right around or just under 400 at Numbers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If a person wanted to do just the miracle mile, where's the takeout? Usually when we paddle below rail trestle put in we go all the way to the takeout below the Mt Harvard Circle bridge. The one where you walk up bluff and are right on the highway.

Looking at map I don't see any obvious point take out after miracle mile. If that starts at railroad trestle put in.

We are driving up Sat for a short paddle before dark and then full day granite to mt. harvard take out. Maybe we'll just go to play park if it is too late for river run.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
If a person wanted to do just the miracle mile, where's the takeout? Usually when we paddle below rail trestle put in we go all the way to the takeout below the Mt Harvard Circle bridge. The one where you walk up bluff and are right on the highway.

Looking at map I don't see any obvious point take out after miracle mile. If that starts at railroad trestle put in.

We are driving up Sat for a short paddle before dark and then full day granite to mt. harvard take out. Maybe we'll just go to play park if it is too late for river run.
The Harvard Estates Bridge (Mt. Harvard Circle?) is not a public takeout and folks that live there will and do get uptight when boaters use it. The highway bluff takeout you refer to is what is generally, locally known as the Grassy Knoll and is public. I think Logan was referring to running the Miracle Mile at micro levels and hiking back up the rio left trail to the RR bridge. A short and sweet run could be putting in above #6 and taking out at Miner's Campground or the RR Bridge. You could also put in above #4 on rio left and take out at 5 and a half.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I'm not hiking my shuttle anywhere on the Ark.... At micro flows we generally take out at either the grassy knoll or frog/elephant rock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts