Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AAAAAAAARRGGGHH!!!!!

Seriously, Don posted last year and said something to the effect that in the normal snow years, Bailey only runs a few weeks anyway. I blew that off at the time but I'm a little worried. In 2003, we were running Bailey two months earlier than this. Somebody assuage my fears, please.

·
Charc in = charc out
475 Posts
i'm not Bailey's biggest fan, so i can't say for sure, but ... since it's such a tightly regulated delivery conduit for front range water consumption, wouldn't it stand to reason that it'll run when denver water users start demanding more water? (i.e. watering lawns) it's been so cool & wet that everything's pretty green as is ...

by the way it is freaking POURING in FC today. buckhorn's on the way up ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think ToddG got it right. Just as an aside, the North Fork ran well in the last few years because the water board was reticent to muck up the water works at Strontia Springs with the continuing fire residue that was coming down the South Fork. I've heard that Lake Dillon (through the Roberts Tunnel to the North Fork) is actually the source of last resort. Since they are already releasing a bit from Cheesman through the South Fork, it looks like they may be intending on using that catch basin again. We might not see too much of Bailey, Foxton, etc... But, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I dunno, I suspect that as soon as Dillon fills they will start releasing, they don't want to give any water to the west slope if they can help it! I was driving past last weekend and it looked to be 15 feet from full...

·
Registered
335 Posts
I heard a rumor that the CWA OR AWA had an agreement with the Denver Water Board to post info on releases from Lake Dillon,at regular intervals.Last year they did this for the Blue around Labor DAY.Anyone know details?

·
Registered
305 Posts
It's true...
The CWWA needs someone to get messages from denver water about releases, then to post them here.

Any takers???

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have volunteered to coordinate the sharing of information on releases from Lake Dillon through the Roberts Tunnel. The Denver Water Board has made two stipulations in exchange for this information. First, they will not guarantee a given flow through the tunnel. They will only give the “expected” flow. And second, they do not want to be held accountable for the information. For instance, if they predict 350 CFS will be released on a certain Saturday and Sunday and the weather clouds up they may cancel the release. If this happens we can not hold them accountable for the lack of water and we can not call them to complain. Currently, we have no advance notice for releases so this will be a big step forward. And in time we hope that the Denver Water Board will try to schedule releases to coincide with the busiest kayaking days/times.

Feel free to contact me with any questions regarding this matter.

Dan Evans
[email protected]
(303)949-1825

·
Registered
255 Posts
sorry to stray

sorry to stray off topic, but as i'm reading, i notice some negative comments about the baily run.

so my bro's and i are just starting to get going on the IV's, and i haven't read too much into baily as of yet, but whats the deal.

why is it that at least this thread turns up baily to be "not the greatest" and "i'm not too much of a fan" -

the CRC sure shows a crazy pic of the run . . .. .

just fishing for some beta - S

·
Registered
499 Posts
I for one think Bailey is a great run, I think a lot of the negative attitudes about it can be explained by..

A. the last few years, especially 2002, it was the only thing running for long periods of time and quite a few people ran it WAY to much.

B. It does have a long class II paddle in and paddle out.

C. Dude, like, it's not SICK! It's full of totally lame Class IV Chachis.

Aside from that it is a fun run, it's wilderness, and it has a kick-ass class V right in the middle. Obviously Caspian misses it!

·
Charc in = charc out
475 Posts
There are a ton of people around here whose paddling lives revolve around running Bailey (like "We did Bailey 5 times this weekend not counting Friday after work! & Joey ran Supermax!!!"). I personally don't think Bailey's all that sweet, so I don't monitor the flows on it. The people who spend their summers on Bailey probably have more accurate speculations as to when it will run than I do. So my original comment was a disclaimer to the info that followed.

For your purposes, Steve, Bailey will suffice as a fine backyard class IV run. Just don't become part of Club Bailey. I've heard that it's like the mob: once you're in, you're in for life.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Steve,
I think the solid class 5 guys like Todd G.,have become alittle jaded towards Bailey.It may be easy to them but in my opinion its a touch more difficult than any of the iv runs on Clear creek, AASBC, Boulder canyon,Lefthand ,Big Thompson book run ,or the Numbers,even if you portage the 1st drop of 4 falls and top of Supermax and maybe Deer crk..I would do some of these first,go with someone who knows the run. It's not death defying ,but is challengeing if you're class 4 IMO

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd probably agree. Don't know Todd personally, but I know he's one of Kyle's regular partners in crime, so...

To me, saying don't join Club Bailey if you live in Denver is like living in Asheville and saying don't join Club Green. (for the record Todd lives in FC, no? -- so this applies to Denver boaters) Ok, so Bailey is great, and the Green is uber-classic, but you get the point. If it wasn't for the tunnel release, I would live in BV or Steamboat. True, the endless class II sucks, but it can still be done on a weekday and it's got a loooong season. IMO, what Bailey really needs is a clean 20-30 footer at the takeout. I would never complain about the class II if that was the case!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Caspian is OVERRATED

Caspian talks like he knows how to boat, but I don't think he's any good on the river. He is so "uber" excited about Bailey, that I think that he'll be a "Bailey Clubber" in no time (if he isn't already).

SwannyKnif

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Swan, you know I will never be a member of Club Bailey, and not because I don't want to, but because they don't let you into the Club if you bring along a Bailey virgin who leaves the keys at the put-in (on a rainy day). Sorry, I already asked the Committee and they said SwannyKnif isn't allowed "back".

p.s. did Royal Gorge today - it has a section that reminded me lots of the Vermillion - industrial crap. Now if it only was 12 degrees with 17,000 cfs it would be like old times...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts