Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not looking forward to shoulder-shuttling my Karnali on the Waterton section, but it is in my backyard so I hope to run it a lot this summer. I was looking at boat carts/portage wheels and was wondering if anyone has had any experience using them for shuttling this section. Ideally I would be able to collapse them and put them in the stern of my boat, but I guess I could run them down to the end before I run it.

A few offerings that google turned up:

End Carts - Seattle Sports Company
Portage Wheels at NRS - Kayaking Gear Rafting Supplies and Boating Equipment
Deluxe Packaway Boat Cart: Carts and Carriers | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
Harmony Stowaway Beach Cart - Pneumatic Tires - austinkayak.com - Product Details

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wheels in Boulder (and Web) super compact

We have a "super special" running on what I think are the best boat carts to fit in small places. They are in Boulder at our shop also.

Atlantic 200 - Sea Kayak Cart (on www.wildwasser.net)

Now speaking of Waterton, I remember my second time in ( this was the first time the damn dam was there) we paddled down to the concrete buttress as they had not filled he Dam yet (ca 1981). It was about Labor Day and it was a long carry out. Lucky I had my 28lb Mistle X then on my shoulder. I still got heat stroke.

That dam sure ruined what was a nice run to Denver. First run we took out on the start of the High Line Canal and paddled through the tunnel to get to the road (all the water was going that way).

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
I once was told wheels are illegal there but I have no proof. I've seen a couple groups use wheels. It's also not that far, steep or long so you should probably just buck up and carry as it's good training for harder portages and hike ins later. Also it's definitely a playboat run so do that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think you can ride bikes there so dont see why wheels shiuld be illegal. The dam should be illegal then maybe also wheels. It is an old railroad grade that went to S Park and I think Breck one way and Buena V. the other.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
35 Posts
Narrow Guage RR's

Narrow Guage RR's went up the Platte Canyon and they also went up Clear Creek (ala Georgetown Loop). Much of the Clear Creek RR Grade is visible in Clear Creek through CC Canyon, and in the Platte it is the trail we walk on in Waterton. Goes through Bailey Canyon too. (Another went up S. Boulder Creek but I don't think it was ever finished and used but it is also along the river through Eldo and above to Gross Res)

In fact they went all over the place. The same RR (I believe) that used to go up through Waterton ended going up along the Ark on the East Side of the River between Buena Vista and Leadville. It was a bummer when Chafee County abandoned the road because a really nice set of camp and access opportunities were lost for paddler access, particularly between Rapid V and Pine Creek.

This has info about the RR up the Platte: Platte Canyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Robert,

I live close to Waterton as well. Give a shout anytime.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Banned
678 Posts
Is this run below Strontia or above it?
above it, speaking of below it though… they might be releasing quite a bit into chatfield… Anyone up for a dawn patrol? Is it possible to run waterton super early, hike around the dam and run the lower portion without being caught?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
There is a guy who runs it regularly, in an IK ,with a fold up dolly on the back.I have ridden a bike down there right past the ranger.They drive a truck down there to get the trash can at the takeout and to check fishing licenses.Just buck up and carry out .It isn't that bad ...probably done it close to a hundred times over the years.

street,
The part below Strontia is like 6 miles with a couple II -III rapids and a dam like the one on SBC only bigger and with a death hole.It is an okay mtn.bike ride with a herd of bighorns,way too much work for a mostly flat run with a portage..not even sure if it is legal.Let's hope they do run a lot of water down it.According to Deepsouth on a previous thread, that is when they release through town ,when over a thousand is going down the run into Strontia for a while and the reservoirs are full enough.Union will run then and Waterton is NOT washed out at 1000 as you claim...some stuff might be but some parts are enhanced..even Gary E. said it is class 4 over 900 in CRC 2...that may be slightly downgraded now but the run is better higher ..maybe not for play

1 - 13 of 13 Posts