Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to raft next weekend, realized the Yarmony Grass festival is going on that same weekend. I have nothing against it, but I'm not sure I'm looking to deal with the added hasle of crowds and craziness.

Anybody have experience with how crowded it gets? Is it a zoo? Is it mainly confined to the rancho and state bridge areas? Will it spill over to the pumphouse area and catamount? Would it be a pain to try to launch a boat at Rancho or State bridge? I'm guessing river camping will be as crowded as ever..

thanks..

·
Registered
668 Posts
It was certainly crowded last year, but not too bad really. We went from Pumphouse to Rancho. If youo get out early, you'll likely beat much of the chaos. I think most of it followed us down, as it started getting pretty rowdy as we were leaving Rancho.

Camping is another story. I wouldn't even consider it for that weekend myself. I'd go somewhere else altogether.

·
shattusi
23 Posts
where else do you get to listen to a floating band while on the river. lots of fun but it will be a little crazy. especially in the afternoon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Even without any type of festival this last weekend was a shit show. Maybe it was due to the nice weather (no rain) that brought out everybody. There was everything from bachelor/bachelorette parties, dogs swimming the entire stretch without life jackets, to drunk d-bangs pulling right next to your raft and breaking your fly rods, etc. Wasn't hard to find camp sites as the majority were doing day trips. As BoilermakerU said, get out early!

·
Registered
41 Posts
How early is early? What time do the floaters hit the river? Do they float pumphouse to State Bridge? (I don't want to miss them- I want to crash the party!)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Last weekend certainly was a zoo, even without the band.

I don't know exactly what time the band puts in, but last year they put in at Radium, so you could float down to Radium and just hang out until they put in. It was after noon I am pretty sure, because we typically don't get on at Pumphouse until 10:30 or 11:00 coming from Denver.

·
Registered
261 Posts
By 10:00 the put-ins are a zoo! Last weekend was crazy indeed. But..thats what it is. So be patient, have a good time!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd like to take the 18footer down there for the party platform. Will I have any trouble sneaking a boat that size down at these levels?

·
Registered
668 Posts
There's not much to sneak. I think you could float an aircraft carrier down there if you wanted to. The only narrow place to speak of is Eye of the Needle, and you should be fine there.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey y'all!

I will be at Yarmonygrass this weekend and the craziness on the river i.e. the floating stage etc. will be like this:

Put in is at Radium
Take out is at the festival grounds at Rancho del Rio

There will be a bus full of festival goers arriving at Radium around 10.45am and another bus full of festivarians at 11.45amish.

We will all be launching around noon.

If you are truly trying to avoid this raging good time on the river definitely launch from Pumphouse and be past Radium before noon I would say.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Shuttle

Looking to put on at Pumphouse around 10 and take out at Rancho around 3.30. Anyone thinking similar and want to work out a shuttle?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I'd like to take the 18footer down there for the party platform. Will I have any trouble sneaking a boat that size down at these levels?
You will be fine with your 18 footer. Nice to hear the partying and good times are still going on there. In the early 70's when all our rubber was committed to other rivers and the only things left in the warehouse was the big iron, 28 footers and 30 footers to push 30 passengers down the milk run we would grab a couple of them ( 15 or so passengers and gear per boat) along with 4 or 5 workers from the warehouse crew to help with cooking and clean up , also the extra help was needed to just get the rigs in and out of the river. Have fun, sounds like a really really good time this weekend. I might just saunter on up there if I can get away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yarmonygrass

Hello everyone

Just a heads up there will be various law enforcement officals at the Radium put-in and on the water during the float enforcing various laws. Please everyone bring (and wear) your lifejackets! If you don't have one call Colorado River Runs @ 970-653-4292 and they will rent you one for a resonable price. Everyone out there please respcet all private property on the river, other private boaters, and fishermen. Use common sense, take it easy on the alcochol and heavy on the water. Have fun and be safe.

Thanks, Eddyout

1 - 14 of 14 Posts