Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year--who's got the low down? Open this weekend, I would assume?

In other news, for all the gnar afficionados out there, Cheeseman is looking good for the Independence weekend.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Flow?

I just called the forest service and they said not open for this weekend (July 4th), but hoping to have it open for next weekend (July 12/13).
What's the flow in Big South about now?

Bringing in a buddy from Virginia who needs to be exposed to Colorado's finest.

Any word on the flow in there?

Had the first gate-accessed run a few years ago ('05?) with Marky Mark so we're not afraid of higher-side-of-good.

TIA

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotta think it's stomping at the moment. Looks like long draw is spilling and weird creek is running at natural flow:

Detail Graph

With 300-350 coming down weird, gotta think there is at least that much in the source. Having run the lower half at around 200cfs, I would surely say that 700-800 would be at least the "high side of good."

Gordon, if you guys are going to be around there next weekend, maybe we can paddle.

·
Registered
463 Posts
its high, its awesome, the source run will still be in this weekend. bring your dancing shoes...

·
Registered
805 Posts
It's high, it's awesome, the top half is as high as I've ever seen it, and it's probably a handful without a guide at current flows but here is some beta.

All of the top drops are clean including Weird (La Poudre Pass) Creek. There is a critical sneak around some very dangerous wood in the lead-in to Prime Time. Prime Time itself though is entirely clean! The huge log in the entrance has moved downstream and is out of play. A nice size log has moved into Double Trouble however and it is a no go until we get it out of there. At the current flow there are also at least two portages below DT. One above Slideways and one or more below. Below Slideways is where things get sketchy as the flow really picks up and so does the wood sitchuation.

Git Sum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
gate is open?

so is the gate now open? i have a crew coming from SC this weekend and staying till next week...we were hoping to hit this one up. i know the level is high but is it still possible to boat scout, or basically get down w/o a guide? and if not anybody want to paddle it soon? 8)

·
Registered
805 Posts
The level is dropping, boat scouting is very possible without a guide if you are a competent crew and don't mind a long day, and the gate is rumored to (should) be open this weekend. If it is open it shouldn't be too hard to find somebody who knows the run gearing up at the take-out... if you get there early. It will be a circus so you'll just have to pick your clown. Level yesterday was on the high side of medium.

Also, Joe Wright and Spencer Heights are at awesome flows right now and may hold until the weekend, but for anybody wanting to get on these as a combo pack now is the time to go. Joe Wright is at a particularly nice and fluffy level and it is so fun to transition from the tiny ass creek which feels high with 220 cfs, into the river at the confluence with the Big Seezy where it becomes pushy and so splashy and action packed, with big waves and holes and your arms feel like jello and it's fun to watch your bros just go into survival mode to make it through the Boneyard Gorge. So, so good. Cornholio boof is also HUGHGE right now.

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Riverman, if you're looking for Big South difficulty, check out Gore right now. It's been holding around 2800, and a perfect combo with the upper Poudre stuff. It's really big and powerful, almost everything flushes, and it all goes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts