Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Discussion Starter #1
Is it not common boater etiquette that if someone is swimming, you offer assistance, even if you are a guide on a commercial trip and the swimmer is from a private boat. Especially if there are custies from your trip in the water being rescued by the private boaters.

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
I thought it was common practice (and mine) to rescue anything and everything I can with out putting myself and my people into a dangerous situation. What was the situation? Was there an increased danger?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I agree. Is river karma gonna come back at someone here :D ?

·
Registered
263 Posts
spill the beans

...please

I was just in Browns on Sunday, and one of our group went for a swim, and it was like, a full-on rescue with all of our party, and a thowbag from another--nothing bad at all, but a phenomenal response just same

Afterward, she was all grateful, and I commented how funny it seemed to me that when you/your gear get rescued you're so grateful to the rescuers (as I have been on more than a few occasions), yet none of us would think twice about immediately helping out on a rescue.

...so what gives?

Jay

·
Discussion Starter #5
Sunday afternoon, Seidel's, multiple swimmers from multiple flips, both private and commercial. My friend, in the water, was within a couple of feet of a commercial raft and the guide just looked at him and offered no assistance.:( Yet, a private 12ft raft managed to pull many swimmers out. I think he had 11 on board after the carnage.
Hopefully this was just an isolated incident and not a case, like with lawyers, where 99% of the guides make a bad name for the rest of them.:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks Grade-A bull shit,

Whether swimming from a commercial or private boat, a swimmer is a swimmer. I myself have saved commercial customers a few times, and once a company even pulled my swimmer out of the water. I personally have a pretty serious beef with the majority of attitudes given off by alot of guides, but I will still pull one of their customers out of the river. Its not their fault their guides a prick. Like you said, it only takes a couple guides to make them all look bad. I personally assume they are all assholes until the majority proves them otherwise. Personally if given the situation of whether to pull a customer out of the river or a guide, I'd bag the customer, let the guide swim. If they did not act like they owned the river, I might think otherwise of them. In my years of rafting I have yet to meet a guide on the river that has proven me wrong.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
When I tagged along with a commercial trip once, they told me that it was state law for them to help out anyone on the river in trouble. Not sure if that's B.S. or not, just what I was told.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's bullshit. As a guide, private boater, and kayaker I will help any swimmer out, and a majority of the guides/private boaters/kayakers I know will all do the same. In an instant. No questions asked.

Though beer is always appreciated! And given when myself or my clients are rescued.:twisted:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts