Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My example is Deso shuttle.
What's a fair tip for the driver? It seems counter intuitive to tip prior to getting your truck and seeing how it was left and without knowing how they drove it during the shuttle.

What are the opinions and suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Pretty sure we normally do close to a service industry tip, ~15%. Upfront is a little odd but I look at it as extra incentive for them to take care of your rig. Almost always get nice note from the driver thanking us and then describing how the truck drove. I think a little faith goes a long way with those drivers. Never had a bad experience or damage bill waiting on my seat like others I have seen/heard of.

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Upfront is a little odd but I look at it as extra incentive for them to take care of your rig. Almost always get nice note from the driver thanking us and then describing how the truck drove.
freakus has it right. I want my driver to know I appreciate their work before they turn the key on. We usually tip $30 to $40 for a $250 MF shuttle. We double tipped a driver by accident this spring. I had it in trip costs and the owner of the vehicle did it too.

The driver said they appreciated it, kept $40 and returned the other $40 to us.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Would agree with responses so far, I want the shuttle driver to feel appreciated before driving, and usually think of tipping as good karma. The deso shuttle is a long shitty one that i am happy to avoid, so i keep that in mind when tipping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Deso using River Runners always $25-30 plus a pack of ginger beers on ice. I wouldn't want to run those oil field roads all day.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems if someone is rallying your truck you'd never know.

Agreed, you gotta have faith. Likely it's pure luck who drives your vehicle and how they drive it.

Anyone ever use a valet restrictor?
It's a programmer (hypertech) that allows you to limit the top speed the car will go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One time we got to the take out and our main truck and trailer were no where to be found. Funny thing is the operator did not refund us the tip. Needless to say we will never use them again. Satellite phone's come in handy in the boonies.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wouldn't stress hard on it, good way to overwhelm the fun out of a trip. Tip well, and they won't drive it like they stole it, they're professionals.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I too use shuttle services and do tip, I like taking care of someone who is transporting my vehicle.

The problem is if $30-40 is the norm then the drivers will come to expect it, and for those who tip lesser amounts (like myself and others I know) drivers might be disappointed and maybe even a bit disgruntled.

I've heard some companies pool tips to share, which seems to make sense for this type of service. One has no idea what type of service they have really provided you(and your vehicle) with aside from being thankful your rig is there at the take out. What about the driver who gets the '77 Datsun 2wd pick up truck with no shocks, no air conditioning, and an am radio with a possible chance for a country or gospel channel, while another driver gets a newer model suv with the cushy ride, arctic blast a/c and satellite radio?

"This automatic tipping thing. It's for the birds." -Mr. Pink

Sent from my way cooler than yours smart phone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
77 Posts
Many years ago we did the John Day River, four cars to be shuttled total. When we got to the takeout, one of our cars was missing. We eventually were able to contact the shuttle people and to make a very long story shorter, it turns out that a different shuttle company had picked up the wrong car at the takeout, same car make, color, and key hidden in the same spot, and had taken it to their storage area. It was a long afternoon, but eventually we got our car back. Our shuttle company refunded our entire shuttle bill because of the mix up, even though it wasn't their fault. We ended up mailing back 50% of the shuttle fee, as none of our group felt that they should take the hit for the situation.

All these years later, should we have just sent them the entire shuttle fee anyway? Hard to say, as the shuttle company was so adamant about refunding us for our troubles.

Then there is the story of getting to the takeout at Carey Creek, and finding a vehicle with a destroyed tire, and the donut spare flat. But at least it is mounted on the car. But getting back to the original question regarding a tip. Yes I always feel like I'm very generous because I want them to take care of my vehicle.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Seems if someone is rallying your truck you'd never know.

Agreed, you gotta have faith. Likely it's pure luck who drives your vehicle and how they drive it.

Anyone ever use a valet restrictor?
It's a programmer (hypertech) that allows you to limit the top speed the car will go.

I like the idea of a valet restrictor, but all of the Utah shuttles include highway so you would have to set it at 65 for Dino or 75 for Deso or Cat, which would leave plenty of room for rally driving on the dirt road portion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts