Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, there's a release on a local river (the Savage in MD) with 46 degree water temps this weekend. The forecast is 79 degrees, though.

This is my thermalwear available right now:

semi-dry top
2mm farmer john
5/4 mm surfing wetsuit

I've used the surfing wetsuit in chilly 45-50 deg water in the spring when the air temps are hovering around 55-70; however, with nearly 80 degree weather, I am hesitant to wear that thing.

I've seen people run the Savage on a SUP (aka nearly swimming) with a shorty drytop and shorts in August. Others seem to use a semi-drys.

My roll is pretty good, but there is always a possibility for a swim (even though I doubt that will happen).

What do I do? I can't afford to go out and buy a drysuit right now.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
A warm (synthetic material) beanie goes a long way to keep your body heat.

Depending on humidity and wind, neoprene or similar gloves and semi dry top should
improve warmth.

No cotton.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would be using a dry top shorts and river shoes. If you get cold easily I might put on a base layer I wouldn't use a wet suit. However everyone has their own level of comfort.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've always the rule of 100 (any combination of air and water temp). If combined are less than 100 think about your wet suit. You can't predict when you'll get into trouble.

Or do like the rest of us and buy a dry suit and wear it always. When it's too hot for a dry suit & base layers put on your birthday suit underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts